Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do i need to relocate the spring pirches on a 14 bolt,

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88GLAZER, Sep 11, 2003.

1. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

and how do I tell the difference between a SF and a FF

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A SF will have axle ends like your 19 or 12 bolt. The FF version will have a large hub that pokes through the rim....Easiest way.

You will only have to change the mounts if it came from a 1 ton truck.....

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

SF has no hub protruding through the rim and FF has a large hub protruding through the rim. It would help if you would tell us what you plan to do with the 14 bolt. If you wish to use it as a boat anchor then I would have to say NO. leave them where they are. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I depends, find a 3/4ton 14bolt out of an 87' and earlier and it will bolt right in. 1 ton 14's have a narrower frame which means narrower spring perches and they have to be moved. There is no diference in strength between the 3/4ton and 1ton 14boltFF, they are exactly the same.

THere is a HUGE difference between the 14bolt FF and SF. the more desirable 14FF has no round sides on the housing cover, it is visibly larger than the SF with bigger brakes, bigger axle tubes, bigger housing, and most important, it has FF hubs. You can see the hub sticking out the rim with a round pattern of bolts on the end of the hubs, the SF doesnt stick out the center bore of the rim with no bolts.

--------------
    85K5 3/4ton, 14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R-4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. rjfguitar

I depends, find a 3/4ton 14bolt out of an 87' and earlier and it will bolt right in. 1 ton 14's have a narrower frame which means narrower spring perches and they have to be moved. There is no diference in strength between the 3/4ton and 1ton 14boltFF, they are exactly the same. There is pictures in the technical area of this site.

THere is a HUGE difference between the 14bolt FF and SF. the more desirable 14FF has no round sides on the housing cover, it is visibly larger than the SF with bigger brakes, bigger axle tubes, bigger housing, and most important, it has FF hubs. You can see the hub sticking out the rim with a round pattern of bolts on the end of the hubs, the SF doesnt stick out the center bore of the rim with no bolts.

--------------
    85K5 3/4ton, 14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R-4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    A SF will have axle ends like your 19 or 12 bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]i have never seen a 19 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif what do they come stock in they have got to be better than a 14 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Is that a 60 that is .030 over????

Really need more light by the keyboard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Looky here http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I depends, find a 3/4ton 14bolt out of an 87' and earlier and it will bolt right in. 1 ton 14's have a narrower frame which means narrower spring perches and they have to be moved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to correct a common misconception. 1 tons do not have narrower frames, it's actually the spring mounts that are riveted to the frame that are different. If you were to swap in 1 ton spring mounts also then the 1 ton axle would bolt right on. Not that you would want to do that since it would be a royal PITA...

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

shaggy is right, the hangers are skininier on 1 ton is all, easy swap fix, you can either swap the 1 ton hangers onto a 1/2 ton or 3/4ton frame, or relocate the perches on the 1 ton axle.

14 bolt FF diff cover are shaped almost like a stop sign with flat sides, and 14 bolt SF are irregular oval shape kinda like a 12 bolt diff cover turned 90 degrees and a hair bigger

if there is no bearing hub snout with bolt heads sticking out at each drum out int he open through where cente of wheel goes thern its a SF,
    the FF axleshafts sit on topof the drums/hubs and bolt to the drums/hubs
    ive got picsof axle ends of SF and FF but on my second HDD that i cant get into righ now. ive even got pics of old 1947-72 eaton 3/4and 1 ton diffs. they were all FF design, nothing was SF back then cept for 12 bolt and 44 and the old enclosed style 63-older 1/2 ton axles.

oh and brake size is basiclaly all thats different from 3/4 ton to 1 ton not really anything else differetn cept spring perch mounting locations

42.5" center to center on 73-up 4x4 and all years 63-up 2wd with optionl G70 leaf type rear suspension,

40" on 72-older 4x4 and 1 ton including C20 longhorns(fleetside only) and 9 footers(stepside only)(because the CE(S)11034 and CE(S)11004 chassies are true 1 ton chassies(even though the C20 longhorns are badged as 3/4 ton), and 73-up 1 tons

10. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

Re: do i need to relocate the spring pirches on a 14 bolt, \" more help needed\"

well I found two 14 bolt FFs at the u pull it, and one has huge drums and the other are not as big. The larger one is off of a 2 wheel drive 4 door long bed. the other id off of a sub. noe the yoke and pinion are removed, and the ring look like it has burn marks, but not to sure what burn marks look like. the other axle that is on the sub, looks like it is leaking at the pinion seal. What should I do?

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Re: do i need to relocate the spring pirches on a 14 bolt, \" more help needed\"

The one in the crew cab will require moving of the spring perches to fit a K5. I'd run away from it in the condition you describe. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The one in the sub will bolt in. Leaking from the pinion seal is not a big deal. I'd bet that most 14b's in a junk yard will be the same. What do they want for the sub 14b? What gears are in it?

12. rjfguitar

I second, find out what gear ratio is in that sub., look and make sure the R&P look good, and check to see if it has a gov-lock in it. If it does then I would personally get it because my 14B has a gov, works pretty good and it's free. If there is little gears inside the ring gear than it is open, if it looks like its cone shaped without gears than its a gov-lock.

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    shaggy is right, the hangers are skininier on 1 ton is all, easy swap fix, you can either swap the 1 ton hangers onto a 1/2 ton or 3/4ton frame, or relocate the perches on the 1 ton axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that means I could get the 1-ton shackle flip kit from ORD (since I was planning on a SF anyway) and I wouldn't have to move the perches?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I depends, find a 3/4ton 14bolt out of an 87' and earlier and it will bolt right in. 1 ton 14's have a narrower frame which means narrower spring perches and they have to be moved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought we decided that this wasn't the case? If it's that easy, I'll go ahead and do it. I'd much rather simply change my spring mounts than have to go through all the BS of welding up the spring mounts and making sure the axle is centered.

Not to mention that it'd give me an excuse to grind out the rivets that are left in my frame and replace them with 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

I just wanted to correct a common misconception. 1 tons do not have narrower frames, it's actually the spring mounts that are riveted to the frame that are different. If you were to swap in 1 ton spring mounts also then the 1 ton axle would bolt right on. Not that you would want to do that since it would be a royal PITA...

[/ QUOTE ]

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that means I could get the 1-ton shackle flip kit from ORD (since I was planning on a SF anyway) and I wouldn't have to move the perches?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that wouldn't work. You have to replace the spring hangers on the frame, I don't know of any kit that ORD makes that replaces the actual hangers.

16. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

No, that wouldn't work. You have to replace the spring hangers on the frame, I don't know of any kit that ORD makes that replaces the actual hangers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the front hanger (of the rear leaves) right? I forgot about those. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The ORD shackle flip is the whole rear hanger, correct. Thanks Shaggy. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yep, you'd have to replace the front one with the 1 ton hanger also. That might be easier than relocating the spring perches though... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif