Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need to replace axle or just the seal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yohinan, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Well things just seem to get worse on my truck. I found my passenger axle seal on the rear end of my 95 Suburban K1500 is shot. The drum brakes are covered in lube. So now I am wondering how do I know whether I can just replace the seal or if I have to replace one or both axles because the rearend has been run dry? I have never done the job before so this is new to me. I just moved to the San Diego area so I dont really know anyone that can help me out on the job either. Anyway I have the manual so I should be able to get this taken care of. I just dont know exactly how I know which parts I should replace. Also if you could provide a quick reply it would be appreciated. This is my only means of transportation right now. Thanks for the help. John

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

As long as you axle isn't scared where the seal seats then all you need to do is swap the seal out. Very common problem and I have rarely had to swap out axles due to not sealing.

As far as replacing the seal it is pretty easy. Pull the diff cover, remove the center pin retaining bolt and center pin, push that axle inward and the "c" clip should fall out, pull the axle out and replace the seal. Lube the new seal and be carefull not to nick it when installing the axle. Push the axle in all the way, put the "c" clip on the end of the axle, push the axle outward with your finger to seat the clip, reinstall the pin and pin retaining bolt, reinstall cover and fill with fluid. Thats all there is to it.

By the way once the pin is out do not spin the axles as your spider gears will spin out of the carrier.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am sure you just need to change the seal. It would take a long time to run an axle dry from a wheel seal leak. You would prolly also already know if the axle was bad. You said you have a manual like a Chiltons or Haynes right? That should help ya. You should just need to replace the seal, and maybe the brake shoes if they are saturated in gear oil.

4. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

New Issue. There is a 8.5" and 9.5" gear and an associated seal. How do I determine which I need? I figured one would be for a 1500 and the other a 2500 but not so. The 2500 Subs have either a 9.5" or 10.5" gear. Anyone know how I can determine which I need? Thanks again. John

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Yours is the 1500 though isn't it ? If so you should have the 8.5 10 bolt. Count the bolts in the diff cover and if there are 10 then go with the 8.5

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If it was run low on oil it would kill not only the axle bearings, but all the bearings in the diff and ring gear, but it wont hurt the axle. The only time you replace an axle is if its pitted where the bearing rides, it doesnt really wear out where the seal rides.

7. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I respectfully disagree. A groove can form on the axle where the seal rides. There is a replacement bearing/seal assy. called an axle saver made just for this problem. This assy. relocates the seal to a new fresh surface on the axle. I have replaced many seals and bearings with an axle saver assy. Saved many customers lots of money.

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I concur

9. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

ditto.... one other note. I have found that alot of time seals start to leak due to bearing starting to wear. you can try a seal and if that does not work I would replace the bearing if there is no noticable cause on the axle shaft itself. What happens is the bearings wear and let the axle move vertically in the bearing. this elongates the seal and allows it to leak...
    just my two cents
    gabe

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Oh ok, I have never seen this happen to any vehicle at work. Axle saver, hmmm, ok.