Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do i really need an H pipe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Nov 5, 2005.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

my blazer orignally had a dual exhaust on it when i bought it, but it was set up for being a street queen....i lifted it and the clocking down the t case hit the exhaust so i had to rip it all down and keep the cats and mufflers, and now im making my own path for the dual....the H pipe is making this process a real pain...i wanna kill the thing, so does anyone know the pluses and minuses to taking the H pipe off and just having a dual exhaust? will it be worth going crazy over?

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You'll loose a bit of torque, and pick up that bumpy exhaust note, but it won't hurt a thing running true duals :)

If it is easier to run them that way, by all means, can the H-pipe

3. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

awesome man...thanks a lot for the advice

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Can also increase the in-cab resonance to the point where you will NOT want to drive at certain rpm's. That would be an extreme case, but BT,DT.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Does your rig have interior? Also, what size duals will you be running? Is your engine mostly stock or modified? Those all play into it.

My '74 has no interior and I had to wear ear plugs while driving down the freeway due to the resonance before I put the H-pipe in. It made a HUGE difference for me for noise. If you have interior, it shouldn't be too bad. You'll lose a little bit of low end grunt, but probably not enough to make a huge difference.

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ya my blazer is a daily driver with just headers and a full interior. im a teenager so im sure the little bit louder note wont bug me too much :D thanks for the input guys :bow: