Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I really need my EGR valve?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I'd like to first start off by saying that I am most likely going to replace it this week although I do have a few questions on its operation.

A few months ago a noticed that my '88 K5 wasn't running too smooth just off idle and that it was very difficult to maintain a constant engine speed at low RPMs. Last week, I decided to just unhook my EGR valve and give it a try. I unhooked the vacuum hose, jammed the end of a bic pen in it, and then took her out for a quick test drive. The difference was amazing! All of my problems went away. The thing I am most thrilled about, though, is that my torque converter will now stay locked up at 70-75 mph. I used to only be able to maintain a max speed of 65 mph down the same stretch of highway without my TC coming out of lockup in OD. I can now do the Texas speed limit with a locked up TC!

Back to my original question: what is the advantage of having an EGR valve? I know it is mandatory to pass inspection and I have also read that it may help gas mileage on the highway. How much could it actually help mileage? Well, my Blazer is running better than it ever has so I'm just wondering if I should keep the vacuum line plugged and leave it as is or replace the EGR valve with a new Delco unit.

Thanks,

Wes

2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i left mine unhooked due to the same issue last summer and i still have no problems and have noticed no difference in performance of gas mileage

LUKE

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I don't have EGR any more, it went the way of every other bit of the smog stuff - the dumpster. Runs great! We don't do smog tests in this state, although I bet I wouldn't test out too badly with a relatively mild cam and a great state of tune.

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

since mine is tbi do i still need my egr? i plan on removing the a.i.r. stuff off it when the weather gets warm and i install my headers.

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Does Michigan still do periodic smog tests?

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

NOPE :thumb: