Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do I really need the engine oil cooler???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Aug 20, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK guys, I finally got under this thing (back went out on me yesterday so I was unable to get a really good look), and all of a sudden I could see oil squirting out like a ruptured artery every so often... (don't know how I missed that before, but somehow I did...)

so anyway I got my dad helping me, and he idles it fast enough so I can get under the thing and see what the heck is going on, and come to find out it is leaking from one of the engine oil cooler lines! the lines have all of a sudden started leaking in a joint twice (and I check the joints quite a bit), and the cooler went out once (got a new perma cool cooler that rockes!)

this is the second big problem I've had with that cooler, and I want to jerk it completely. I'm assuming I'm gonna get more life out of my engine if it has oil in it then an engine with a cooler that leaks! [​IMG]

I know a LOT of engines come with no engine oil cooler at all???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The cooler is relatively new...I don't recall seeing any 350's with coolers before 88 or so. My 81 has no cooler...
    Obviously there is a benefit to having an engine oil cooler, why not repair or replace the one you have?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You just need a new oil filter adapter from a truck that didn't come with the cooler. Its a pretty simple deal. The oil cooler isn't a bad idea, especially for towing, but your truck should be fine w/out it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

my 74 came with a factory cooler. i had the lines replaced a few years ago and it cost a BUTT LOAD to have them fabed up because gm no longer makesum. and the resently the cooler sprung a leak and had to replace it with one from summit. Any ways i would say see how much it's gonna cost for new line that might make up your mind. And as far as my opinion i say keep it there's nuten mo important than oil.

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

With the stock radiator and individual oil and tranny coolers, my 350, runs 160 to 180 at the most in 100+ heat all day long. I've had it at idle to less that 5 mph for more than 3 hours in 100+ heat. Yes, to me, the oil cooler is worth it.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

6. tRustyK5

Coming back from Cali towing another K5 my Jimmy was at about 180 max all the way home...in the 105 degree heat. No oil cooler. I think they're a good idea...just saying a good oil cooler isn't all that keeps a motor cool.

Rene

7. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

what thermostat are you guys running....Im running about 190-200 on 100+ days....210 w/AC on......I have a stock tranny cooler and oil cooler..1990 blzr

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, 3 hour 100+ heat with the A/C on less than 5 mph while pulling stumps out.
    The cooler will help with the low mph high heat areas like stop and go in town traffic on a hot day. Anything going 65-80 on the interstate better run cool or something is wrong

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

9. tRustyK5

Slow, fast, it doesn't matter in my Jimmy. Some of that was LA traffic and some was freeway speed. i agree it would help, I'm just saying its not the be-all and end-all for cooling an engine.

I run a 180 degree thermostat, new 3 core rad and factory clutch fan with a functioning shroud. Manual tranny though so i don't have tranny fluid heating my coolant up. I also have no AC [​IMG]

Rene

10. solowookie

I kinda think my game plan is going to work like this; engine oil cooler is getting jerk for now, and then when I put a 383 in I'll use a different stem with oil adapters that are not GM, and have some lines fabricated to hook it back up... [​IMG]

anyway that should do it for now... thanks for everybodies input.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

11. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Unless you have a marginal cooling system, an oil cooler just isn't required and can actually keep your engine from warming up properly and hurt mileage if you don't also run a thermostatic bypass valve. But, if you've got the cooler working good now, I don't see any reason to take it off.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good plan Jeff.............and when you do have the lines fabbed, use BRAIDED STAINLESS HOSE..........had an oil cooler on my 71 BB Camaro in AZ...........did a nice job assisting in keeping that beast (WITH AC MIND YOU) running cool. But found out the hard way rubber hoses get worn............go stainless braided. Worth the $$.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you use your Blazer hard in the heat a cooler is a good idea. But if you dont tow much or haul a heavy load you probabally dont need one.
    I have a oil cooler on mine. I like it because I tow quite a bit. And use my rig pretty hard in the summer heat. My stock(GM) cooler sprung a leak last year. I checked with GM and they would only sell me the whole set up for around 280. I only needed the cooling coil. So I looked around and found that the B&amp;M super cooler with 1/2" npt fittings was the exact same stacked plate cooler as the stock one. It was even made by the same company (Long). all I had to do was drill out the rivits and remove the mounts on my old cooler. And install them on my new cooler. It even had holes drilled in it so the mount matched right up with no more drilling. I did change my lines though to steel because I drive in the sagebrush a lot and it will rip anything out that is not armoured or protected.
    Also B&amp;M makes the whole oil cooler kit including the filter adapter and lines. Summit sels them for less than $130. it looks exactly like the stock setup minus the GM stamps on it

14. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

My 82 came with the cooler on it. It had a small leak so I disconnected it so I wouldn't get oil all over my radiator while I drove to Oklahoma from California. I towed my boat without any heating problems but I'm running a 4 core radiator. I'll fix the cooler and hook it back up when I've got the time. I also have an aftermarket cooler on my F-150 and am glad it's there. That little 302 really gets a workout when I'm towing and can use all the help it can get.

Smitty

15. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=green>if your going to have lines made up,don't go paying an arm and a leg for them from some shop. go to the nearest farm equipment dealer and take your old lines with you,,they can make them up in about 10 minute's and it should't be to expensive,they make these hydraulic lines all the time so it's pretty common stuff to them.</font color=green>

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

16. solowookie

hey, thanks for the tip...

actually that's exactly what I was gonna do... I was raised on a ranch so I've had several of those line's made up...

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't see how an engine oil cooler as "small" as the stock one is going to slow down warmup at all. Engine oil typically runs in the 200+ range, and the engine has no problem warming that stuff up pronto. I've got a cooler on mine, oil pressure is no less or more than it was without it. Keeping your oil cooler is going to help the motor last, as long as its not too cool. Lowering the temp reduces oil breakdown, which is what will eventually kill your motor. Of course, regular oil changes will solve that too..

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen