Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I REALLY need the F*rd HP 60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Jul 29, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I'm in middle of planning 4 wheel steering, My axle choice is obviously a Dana 60. I initally assumed that I would need a High Pinion Reverse Cut Dana 60 from a 78-9 F350, Re-tube, and center the diff. Mostly being that when my driveshaft spins the diff in its 'stock' upright location, I go forward.
    I have come to find, this is a RARE diff, far more than Dodge or even chev. Obviously so, being offered in 2 years.

So whats stopping me from taking a Dodge Dana 60, or chev, and flipping the housing upside down, making it go forward with the correct driveshaft rotation? Just the fill plug? I can make a new one!

Also, The dodge and chev's have stronger knuckles, so I was going to swap them out anyway.

Is this solution too good to be true? What am I missing?

-Kyle

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

You don't want a high pinion unit for the rear, its much weaker that way. They do it in jeeps but thats only for pinion angle, and they use D60's on lightweight rigs. If you are already talking about swapping knuckles and such, the best thing to do would get a stout rear end, D60's are not too rare, or a Dana 70 or a 14 bolt and put the Chevy steering knuckles on the end of that housing. You can source the knuckles and such from a Chev Dana 60 or a place like Dynatrac. You might need some custom shafts but that would probably be the way to do it.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i would try and pm 1fnhik5 and see if he can give you any tips.he has rear steer on his blazer.i think he used a chevy rear for it.im not sure if that is his exact user name but if you go through the user list that is how it looks.

4. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    So whats stopping me from taking a Dodge Dana 60, or chev, and flipping the housing upside down, making it go forward with the correct driveshaft rotation?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I may be confused again, but I don't think you need to flip the housing when you take a front housing and turn it around to use on the rear.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

just to add a little...if you want pure BEEF, check out the inner and outer knuckles that Rockstomper offers.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So whats stopping me from taking a Dodge Dana 60, or chev, and flipping the housing upside down, making it go forward with the correct driveshaft rotation?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I may be confused again, but I don't think you need to flip the housing when you take a front housing and turn it around to use on the rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't. I would just use a 14 bolt, or rear 60, and use the outers from a front 60.