Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I really need these?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yohinan, May 19, 2006.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Ok so I am putting the two inch rancho A-arm lift on. What it calls for is the following tools to get the job done. These are all Kent Moore tools.

J 23742 Ball Joint Seperator
    J 36616 Differential Carrier Bushing Remover
    J 36202 Torsion Bar Unloading tool.

For some reason these tools are a bi*@! to get ahold of plus the prices seem even worse than the Snap On trucks prices. What I am wondering is are these tools absolutely required to get the job done? If so does anyone know what the equivilant Snap On tool would be as I cant seem to find them in SnapOn's catalog (both online and paper copy). The snap on truck can get me the torsion bar unloading tool for like 160.00 but if I remember right cant I just back the bolt out that pushes on the hex keyed bar that the torsion bar runs through (using a floor jack also)? I think thats all I did to get old key out to stuff in the ford key. I found ball joint seperators in the Snap On catalog but there are different sizes and I am not sure which one cross references to the Kent Moore tool. Snap On guy is not sure either. Anyone know the right one I need to get? That leaves me with the differential carrier bushing remover. Snap On guy doesnt seem to have one of those either so I may be stuck buying the KM tool if there is no other way to get the bushing out. Any other tools I can use to get that or is the remover required? TIA for all the help. John

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Harbor Freight is your friend.....................

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

....or what about renting them at Auto Zone?

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

IIRC autozone has all these tools and yes you need them.

5. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Well I guess I will take the plunge and buy the KM tools. I refuse to buy the majority of stuff that harbor freight sells. Additionally after 2 tool rentals from Auto Zone I wont rent from them anymore either.

I can get one part for sure from Snap On (torsion bar unloading tool). The ball joint seperator if I can find out what size it is I can get that from the SnapOn guy also. Anyone know what size the ball joint seperator is from KM? Not sure what the equivelant SnapOn would be. They have a 5/8", 13/16", 1", and 1 1/4".

For sure though looks like I gotta get the KM Diff Carrier Bushing Remover.

Anyone know a store that sells to the public that carries KM tools and keeps them in stock? I am in San Diego if that makes any difference.

Thank you guys so much for all the help. It's greatly appreciated. John

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The only tool you really need the the unloader for the torsion bars. I installed a DC 6.5" system on a chevy and the TB were the worst part.
    The other tools you could do without

7. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've never used a ball joint seperator. I've just beat the knuckle by the taper and the taper pops loose. A seperator would be nice if everthing is painted or powder coated and don't want to ruin the finish.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I just put a Trailmaster 6" kit on my '96 and never used any unloader. I put the jack under the lower control arm, removed the frame bolts for the upper control arm, then lowered the jack until there was no tension on the adjusting bolts. I put it back together this way also with no problems.

And what is a "rancho A-arm lift"?

9. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

The rancho a-arm lift changes out your upper a arm for their model which will give you a 2" lift. If you have no lift already then your just getting 2" but if you have a 6" already then your at 8". That about sums it up.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If all you are doing is replacing the upper arm, you don't even have to unload the torsion bars. You shouldn't need any special tools, unless you can't get the ball joint loose... then you will need the Ball Joint Seperator (pickle fork). This almost seems too easy... maybe I am missing something... like why they say you need the Differential Carrier Bushing Remover?