Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do i use silicone or will the gasket alone work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Jun 7, 2002.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

700 tranny.
    its leaking.
    i was told with a rubber gasket i dont need silicone. is this true? is a cork gasket better? wich way do i go? thanks guys.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't use silicone on a transmission EVER!!!

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I know I've had better luck with cork gaskets on valve covers. But they tear when you take they off later. I don't like rtv on trans.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I like the rubber gaskets better. As has been stated, they stay together well when pulled off later. (and can be re-used a few times lol) I have a feeling silicone on gaskets is personal preference more than anything else, i have yet to see an RTV manufacturer say not to. (just means I haven't seen it, not that some haven't)

I've used it on almost all my trannies, and its because I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially when re-using the stock often bent tranny pan. No matter what, you won't get a bent one perfectly flat.

I spread the RTV *super* thin with my finger, running down the center of the gasket surface on the pan only (pain to get the RTV off the tranny side) and around each bolt hole. I'm talking so thin you can see through the RTV in most places.

Whatever, some think it works, some don't, moreso, its worked for some and not others.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I perfer permatex high tack. Rubber gaskets are the best if you think you will be pulling the pan several times. With either, I spray a light coat of high tack on, let it sit for a while then put it on. The problem with using a sealer on a lot of gaskets is that it always lets the gasket push out before snug. High tack is sticky and has always worked great for me and I hate ANY leaks.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

dyeager535 hit it on the nose in my opinion. The key to silly-cone is spread it thin. Some people glob it on and it is pushed to the inside of the component when the bolts are tightened and eventually breaks off and you have a clog running around inside of the engine or tranny, bad thing.. If you have a good tranny pan that is not warped or scratched on the gasket surface a good gasket may not leak. I use Copper Coat from NAPA in those situations and it seals and tacks the gaskets nicely with no mess.

John

7. 350S10NJ

350S10NJ Registered Member

The problem with silicone is that nobody reads the destructions,
    they say to apply it even and let cure then bolt it together.
    Doing it this way will let you remove the pan many times with problems.

GM uses silicone on the tranny and t-case now

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use any gasket stuff on a auto tranny!
    If you want to be in the better safe than sorry camp you still shouldn't use any! I would rather have a little leak then a clogged passage in the tranny.

Also some gasket stuff reacts with ATF. I know this because I used some Gaskasinch on my tranny pan gasket once. It turned the gasket (a cork one) into Swiss cheese overnight.

Most tranny filter/gaskets say in the directions to use just a plain gasket.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

And if you need a way to stick the gasket in place a thin coat of clean grease still works as it did before all these fancy chemicals came out. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif