Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I want 4 or 5 TSL's? Am I ever going to rip a sidewall?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Aug 8, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Do I want 4 or 5 TSL\'s? Am I ever going to rip a sidewall?

I'm decided that at the end of the month, my Blazer deserves a set of new fresh rubber.

I've settled on 42" TSL Super Swampers, but should I get 4 or 5 tires?

4 TSL's = 2000(canadian pesos) out the door
    5 TSL's = 2450 out the door

I'll be honest, I sure dont live is moab. Theres rocks, but they're mostly covered with moss and dirt. I save about 50 bucks on the spare, but will I ever need to replace a WHOLE tire? I dont mean a pin hole, I mean replace a tire because it is no longer useable, mainly a torn sidewall.
    If I get 4 TSL's, I'll be trudging around with a 38.5" spare until I can locate a 42 or 44(ground hawg...undersided) on this side of the border.

It seems like the 5th tire is insurance, but I sure could use that 450 dollars to actually DRIVING my truck.

thx for any input.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: Do I want 4 or 5 TSL\'s? Am I ever going to rip a sidewall?

That Detroit won't like the mismatch in size....

3. dhdescender

I do have an open front carrier currently...It may mean changing two tires though, If I poped a rear.

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

If it were me, I'd try to find a good used spare 42' (more then 70% tread) by the time I got the 42's mounted. If I were unable to find one I would definitly go ahead and get the 5th tire. Lets say when you get the locker in and your on a trip and half way into the trail you lose a tire, you would be better off with the matching spare for reason #1 you wouldn't sweat snapping any shafts/ujoints/parts just to get off the trail. #2 you would have matching set (better for road use) until you had a chance to replace the lost tire. #3 if for some reason you lost a tire you wouldn't be cruise'n around on 3 42's and 1 38 for a month while your waiting to save up $$/ or waiting on store to get one shipped to you.
    To keep all 5 of your tires equal instead of doing the normal rotating of 4 add in the 5th to the rotation, this will keep all the tires equally worn.... also hopefully adding longer life to em. Just my opinion... hope it helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think of a fullsize spare as sort of mandatory.....kinda like a first-aid kit, tow strap and fire extinguisher.

You don't usually need ANY of those items on a trip, but you sure get pretty pissed on the trip when you finally DO....

I'm with the others....don't buy a "new" 42 unless you have to....a used one should be cheap and you won't feel as bad about spending the $$$, put the savings towards a winch... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think of a fullsize spare as sort of mandatory.....kinda like a first-aid kit, tow strap and fire extinguisher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well if i were doing realy extreme stuff i would whant a full sized spare. But for my ford i just put a bottle of that hole sealant per tire in it so if i get a pin hole(all ill probly see on trails) i wont be up the creek. But my little truck has a full sized spare. If you have the cash i would run whith a full sized spare, if i had the cash i would have a full sized spare on my ford.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I had never ripped a sidewall in my life,and then recently tore two in two weeks.

Git a similar sized spare,new or used.

Git road hazard on the new tires if ya can /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I had never ripped a sidewall in my life,and then recently tore two in two weeks.

Git a similar sized spare,new or used.

Git road hazard on the new tires if ya can /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to tell him what you cut one of them on thou.. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Uuhhhh...drivin over a Honda. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The other one I cut on the trail.

Woulda sucked not to have had a matching spare and road hazard

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

If you can't fit a full size spare, get a tube. At least it will get you out of the trail. I have a spare tube for a 15", 33 to 38 if anyone needs one. 16.5's on the truck now.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I would not buy a new spare 42 tsl
    way too much $$$
    after you burn the tread off a few you will have a stack of bald spares
    I doubt you will hurt a detroit due to mismatched sizes, every swamper seems to be a different size

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Agreed on the spare being too much $$$ and too freaking big and heavy to haul around too. Even in a full body K5, it would pretty much fill the back...

Here is the info I got from 1tonWillysAndS10 on pirate. He carries tubes for both his trucks and no spares.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ok here is what you need. You need to buy an inner tube for that is a 14/14.5-16.19(36x13.50-15).These are the numbers on the side of the inner tube. Most tire places should know the 14/14.5-16.1. It to will be a tube that will overinflate to fit your tire.I have had no problem with them and I have used them from one time or another over the last 10 years and I run 44's.

[/ QUOTE ]

14. dhdescender

[ QUOTE ]
    Agreed on the spare being too much $$$ and too freaking big and heavy to haul around too. Even in a full body K5, it would pretty much fill the back...

Here is the info I got from 1tonWillysAndS10 on pirate. He carries tubes for both his trucks and no spares.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ok here is what you need. You need to buy an inner tube for that is a 14/14.5-16.19(36x13.50-15).These are the numbers on the side of the inner tube. Most tire places should know the 14/14.5-16.1. It to will be a tube that will overinflate to fit your tire.I have had no problem with them and I have used them from one time or another over the last 10 years and I run 44's.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do You think I'll run into problems with my Military Hummer rim's Runflats + Tubes? I suppose I could remove the runflat if I flatted it (I use it for the beadlock feature, not the actual runflat), but would it all seal up the same?

Hmmm...Tube just might work.

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You would have to remove the run flat, and you would probably need to carry an inner boot (or whatever those rubber dam things they run in the well of some rims) to protect the tube from the rim.