Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do it yourself bed liner ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Feb 1, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I am planning on planning on coating the interior of my Jimmy with some type of roll on bed liner. Just wondering who has done this and how you rated the product. So far I have been reading up on Durabak and Herculiner...has anybody used one of these or something else?

2. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

everyone asks bout liners! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif but its okay i did too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    hurculiner is awsome! just finished my tub, doors, and rails, but now i still have to do the side parts of my truck. dont know much bout durabak but......hurculiner worked for me, i finish a them few days ago and then it just rained in my truck(full convertable, no top right now)and it was fine/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I did the duplicolor bed liner in mine, I didnt have any problems putting it in and and seems fairly tough. But after it dried and I fired up the truck and the noise was horrible. It sounded like yelling into the grand canyon, terrible echo. Thie beign my daily driver I spent 30$ on some carpt and padding and put it on top of the liner and now I keep thinking my truck stalled because its so quiet.

4. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I used Herculiner, it is a great product. Maker sure that you take the time to prep it correctly. My only complaint is the noise, but then again now I can hear every little noise that my truck makes. It's been rained in a have a dozen times, only thing to get damaged was the stereo (wind blew rain through the half cab into the dash).

All in all I would say it's a great product.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I did the Duplicolor also. I think I'll be sticking with the Herculiner for my next project. Duplicolor was cheaper but it's basicly thick paint and it flaked off quite a bit in some spots. Even with 3 coats of the stuff it would scratch off if I was dragging my spare tire or my hi-lift across the bed. It is cheap to touch up though and it comes in a spray can to get into all the tight places...

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Herc is pretty good....well, as long as you keep it off yer hootus...

7. trogdor4x4

trogdor4x4 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I used Herculiner, it is a great product. Maker sure that you take the time to prep it correctly. My only complaint is the noise, but then again now I can hear every little noise that my truck makes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a great produce for the Price, I picked it up at o'Reily's for about $100. With 3 coats I covered the whole floor, fender wells, and lower part of door below plastic panels.

8. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I herculined the Jeep and had the K5 professionally done with Line-X. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd get it done right if you can stand the $$. The Herc is now starting to get thin in spots and has some chipped off places. Maybe I wasn't as careful as I should have been, but you have to consider that too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's tough to get everything perfect with the little roller. I was by no means sloppy. We spent all day and tried to do everything by the book.

Now I need to decide whether to touch up with more herc or coat the entire thing with Line-X or Rhino.

FWIW, I think Line-X is tougher than Rhino, but Rhino is thicker and softer so it might be better if you're worried about noise.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i tried the duplicolor spray in bedliner on the floor of my k10, it is rubbed off where my right heel rests just below the gas and where my left heel rests between the clutch and brake pedals.. i also used it on the doors just below the panel on the uncovered part and tried it on the door panel itself, it flaked off the panel, but holds great on the door itself, and i would use it again, but only on my roof and doors...

10. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I used Heculiner in my rig. If I were to do it again, I would pay Rhino Linings to do for me cause their liners are thicker and alittle more plyable like rubber.
    Bill

11. 83_chevy_blazer

83_chevy_blazer Registered Member

i just got my balzer done with vortex spray on liner its kind of like line x but it isnt as rough.

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I used Dupli-color roll on in the tub of my 70 Jimmy. Carefully prepped and put on 4 coats. Doesnt hold up any better than paint and its faded badly in the AZ sun in one year. If you can afford it have it professionly done, if ya want to do it yourself try another product. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what i used, herculiner. and as stated above......
    I accidently knealed in some, with long pants on. had a HARD time getting those pants off after it started setting up!! My knee was "tainted" black for 3 weeks!! couldn't get it off with any chemical I found!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i just got my balzer done with vortex spray on liner its kind of like line x but it isnt as rough.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that vortex? I have been looking at it for my '72. It is definately cheaper than line-x or rhino. I just don't know how the quality is.

16. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I used Herculiner. For what I paid, I am happy w/ the results. It does come off in areas where it is thin or if you haul lumber or steel in your bed. But, the good thing is, you can just re-apply it for cheap in the needed spots.

17. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I used duraback on the outside of my K5 and it's holding up fine. Got some fading after 2 years. Recoated and was good. A little expensive.
    John

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used duraback on the outside of my K5 and it's holding up fine. Got some fading after 2 years. Recoated and was good. A little expensive.
    John

[/ QUOTE ]

got any pics?

19. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I went all the way to metal
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

Mine has held up good, faded some but it's ok /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif