Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do junkyards in your area let you browse the yard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Craig Artzner, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm just curious, you guys who frequent junkyards, do you find that most of them will let you walk through them to scavenge your own parts? Most of the good yards in my area don't let customers walk freely through their junkyards anymore. I remember 10 years ago I could always get into just about any junkyard to get the parts I needed.

Now they've all gone hi-tech and think they can tell you every single part they have from a computer database. You have to rely on a 17-year old kid to go into the yard and hand pick the parts for you, something I know all of us would rather do ourselves.

Also, I live in Northeast Ohio (Canton), if anyone knows of any good junkyards nearby that allow walkthroughs please post them here. I'm just looking for various odds and ends for my '73 Blazer that none of the major suppliers (LMC Truck, Year One) don't carry.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My way around that is making up a fictitious part.

"What do you need?"

"A pitman steering isolation valve."

"I can't find those in the computer."

"Every (whatever vehicle you want to scavenge) has one."

"Well, it's not in here."

"Aw hell, those damn computers aren't any good. Just let me go find it myself."

Works every time. :D

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, here we can walk through and pick all of our own parts. There are a few yards that don't allow this but they mostly sell wholesale. The reason for yards starting to go that route is that too many people feel they need to destroy parts that are in "their way" to get what they want for themselves. Unfortunately parts are how the JY make money so broken parts bring nothing for them.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I find that yards that specialize in selling parts as their primary income don't let you walk through, as 4x4high said, while a yard that specializes in scrap metal as their primary income, and parts are just a secondary income, then they do let you in as long as you sign a waiver.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with people destroying parts, but it is also a liability issue.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

We have 2 kinds in CO.

The standard salvage yard and the pick-a-part yards.

The standard yard will do one of two things. One type will let you look for the part and come back so they can send one of their people to pull it. The other won't let you past the lobby.

The pick-a-part yards make you sign in and check your toolbox on occasion. Then you go get what you want and bring it back to the checkout. They have hoists to help you pull the larger items like engines, they have wagons you can pull along and load up as you go. Sometimes they have deal days - all you can physically carry for 50 bucks, et.

We have 100's of standard yards and only a few pick-a-part yards.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Ditto for around Dallas.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same here.

9. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

same here in mass

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Do those salvage yards that let you walk around in them,,,charge you for entrance?

they do here, guess they figure that everyone that walks in, is going to walk out with SOMETHING..

$3.00 entry fee and a signed waiver of liability

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You just need to know someone at the yard, I have been around here long enough I know most of the poeple that work at the yards. I have heard other people say they won't let them out, but every time I go I just go get my own parts.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The yard in Denver charges 1.00 to get in and the one North of Denver is free.

13. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

My uncle owns the nearest yard. I can browse whatever I want.

14. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The ones I go to all know me so I can pretty much come and go. One of the yards is way into dressing up there tow trucks. My dad does lots of custom work for them. Stainless and diamond plate covers and other odd and ends.

I get all the small stuff for next to nothing or free. If it's big and they have to help me pull it or load it then its max $100.

Unfortunately they crushed a lot of stuff when scrap got real high. Made the yard a lot easier to get around room wise but now I have to watch for fresh stuff since everything that sits is FWD late model junk.

15. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Some do, some don't. Ask if you can go with the yard monkey who pulls your part.

16. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Few junkyard by where I went to college would let ya roam, and give you a general idea of what truck would have the parts that you want. Then its more or less if its somewhat big 50 - 100 bucks and its yours, small stuff, take it. They were more in it for the scrap.

Now one back home, you go in tell em what you they type it up in the computer, can tell you what vehicle has it, how many miles were on the car when it got wreck, usaully condition etc. Then you go pull it and bring it back to the front to detemine the price if you didnt before you pulled it. You have to bring back the code they have written on the vehicle to so they can update their computer. I like dealing with these guys.

Then they also have a real bone yard type deal that has like 15 or 20 67-72 trucks back there. All so beyond hope its not even funny. But I plan on resurrecting at least one for a start to my grove someday

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

one locally makes you sign a waiver and charges like $2. But I've been going there as long as I can remember, they still make me sign but don't charge me. The rest of the local ones just let you roam. There is a "Harry's U-Pull-It", not too far away. That charges for entrace but everything is a flat rate. Engines are like $50, rears like $150, etc etc. Good luck finding stuff though.