Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do lug bolts have an expiriation date?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nyyef, Sep 5, 2000.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

ok...two nights ago i just got my rig out of the paint shop. driving the 70 km home it develope a thunk from the rear, first thought ' oh no my rear end' (and here i am usuually defending the 12 bolt), but no. to my surprise, i discovered that 3 of the 6 lug bolts broke off!!!!! and the rest were loose. when i came to tighten one of the remaining ones, it twisted right off, with barely any effort. my questions are (they are eagle alloy 054 rims):
    1) do the bolts expire due to fatigue after tightening and loosening so many times? (i have been told this)
    2) is due to overtightening? (i have been told this too) i know it can happen if they are loose, but i check them regularly and the other ones were ok.
    3) becuase they broke off, the rim doesnt seem to have been effected (the holes havent opened up, but there are very minor scratches around the holes), could this rim be a problem in the future due to what happened?

TIA

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>I am sure that you would have some metal fatigue from all of the torque of tightening and loosening, however I have never heard of anyone saying that you need to change you lugnuts because they are x-amount months/years old. Are you sure that they broke off, I mean did the threads on the inside of the lugnut look stripped out, or did they break? It kinda sounds like they were overtightened and got weak to me (if stripped out). I have heard of lugnuts coming off of the early mustang 5.0's that had 4 lugnuts per axle (too much power), but that is about the only problems that I have heard. I have used my lugnuts for years (standard kind) and the chrome plated kind for mags and have never had any problems. However I am in no way (or claim to be) an expert on lugnuts. - Steve </font color=purple>
    http://www.sosamantx.coloradok5.com/

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Mine were overtightened by an overzealous grease monkey with an impact wrench designed for battle-ships. They don't have a finite life, but they can break off and stretch (sort of like head bolts) I did a complete brake job and just replaced the lot of 'em. I think they were around .75 ea. at autozone. Alot of mine would not allow a new lug-nut to thread very easily either, that's what tipped me off.

"who dares wins"

4. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the body shop (or someone) may have removed that wheel for some reason and not retighten the lugs. When I bought my 'Burb and had it towed home every thing seemed fine... As the tow truck was backing it into my drive, the left front wheel fell off! [​IMG] After being towed for 50 miles, the wheel fell off in the last 15 feet. Anyway, the wheel seemed fine when we left (didn't wobble or look loose), but obviously the lugs weren't tightened, worked them selves loose and in turn sheered off the studs. Once they're even the least bit loose, they start backing off really quickly. Good thing you caught it.

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

All it takes is for the lugs to have been loose ONCE, and the studs are on their way to failure. Bolts, nuts, and studs DO eventually wear out; threads wear and deform, studs and bolts stretch over time, and corrosion takes its toll on the metal. Big tires and off-road stress don't help, and neither does the ape with the impact gun. If you're going to have things apart, replacing the studs and lugnuts occasionally can't hurt.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

I've been told that the studs should be replaced every 3rd or 4th time they are taken off.Obviously this would be a serious pain and end up costing quite a bit.The studs do wear out though.Metal will stretch(tightening/over- tightening studs) but each time it does it gets weaker.Try bending a piece of wire back and forth in the same spot a few times,it'll eventually break.The same thing applies to your wheel studs and any other metal.It wouldn't hurt to tell the body shop just in case they did take the wheel off,they might re-imburse you.

Chuck Dirks
    81 Blazer
    Colorado,USA

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

alloy rims should be evenly torqued to 75-90lbs and CHECKED on a regular basis. aluminum rims have a dendincy to loosen up. I have never replace a stud because the "date" ran out. when putting wheels on and off, check the studs and nuts. always make sure you are running the correct ug nut for your rim application. some alloy rims require different lugs than stock. I avoid the "bargin" style lugnuts. They always seem "loose" on the threads.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

8. James

James 1/2 ton status

Hey bablazer,
    I hope 75-90lbs. means stepping on the star wrench for tightening:( Geez. Hearing all this makes me want to go and replace all studs and bolts befor my outlaws of 9yrs new MT fall off ;)
    James