Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do most first gens have rust?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Jan 20, 2003.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a rig for sale, 1972, 454, 1 tons, basically decked out. The pics really look like the owner cares about his truck. He says it has some rust on the rocker panels. I did a search on here and it looks like that is pretty common. Is that true? If it is showing outside, I'm guessing the insides are rusted also, right? How big of a deal is this on a 1st gen, and how much does it all cost to take care of? I'm probably going to go check it out tm, so i'll take some close up pics if I can. Thanks for your input ahead of time, I know you guys are the ones to ask,
    Evan

2. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

Got some on my drivers side. I believe it common. Haven't repaired it yet but it would not be too hard or costly. Cut off the rusted one and weld another. long as you got a welder friend and you trust he can do a good job.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

all first generation blazers have rust unless they've been garaged for 30 years which is highly unlikely.unless the rust has been repaired most rocker boxes will have moderate surface rust or be completely rusted through.along with the floor boards and usually the end of the bed where the tailgate meet the bed floor

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Check out the "sticky" above.....CANCER SUPPORT GROUP!

There are some pretty "graphic" shots of typical rust....and how bad it can get. Not trying to scare you, but knowledge is power.....

5. kiley

kiley Registered Member

When I bought mine I was a little ignorant. Didn't look under the carpet by the door posts. That's about the only place I have any rust. It's gone through on the drivers side and if left alone will go through on the passenger side in a few years.

6. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

MINE HAS NONE!!!!! HAHAHA no but seriously most do. mine only has 79,000 miles so it has never had a chance to rust. but thats just my two cents.

7. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

YOU BET! rusted rockers is a common thing on first gens, that is what is so nice about them. On later models, about all parts of them were common rust spots. All we 1st gen folks have is basically the rockers. I was talking to a guy that worked in a parts shop in college, he said he sold so many rocker panels for 67-72 trucks that he can still remember the part # for them, and that part number is still being used today. I cant remeber who told me that, so I am not sure how old he was, or when he was in college. At the time I was amazed that he recited the # for me. I wouldn't be afraid of buying it. as long as there isnt much worse stuff (like the window frame being rusted) My window frame had a very small spot rusted, so I cleaned all the chunks out and as much of the surface stuff I could, then filled it with silicone. I dont know if that is a good or recommended fix, but I am sure happy with it.

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My '72 has a little rust in the usual places in the interior:

Floorboards where they meet the kick panels
    Back end of bed floor
    Firewall near blower motor

Those are the only obvious places, but the floor is also rotted in the gutter where the floorboards meet the inner rocker (really stupid design, the floors and door gasketing in these things, whomever it was that designed them should be shot).

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

It was a big conspiracy Chevy had going back in the late 60’s and early 70’s, if they sold trucks that already had rust, people would have to spend long weekends fixing them. Thus buying body parts, replacing doors, you know things like that. Then they put ½-ton running gear under them… damn basturds…again people would have to spend long weekends working and buying 1-ton running gear for them.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Silicone will make rust spread.Came from windshield instaler.He recomended using urathane rubber like late model windshields use.Said silicone caused reaction on metal that promotes rust.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all vehicles older than early 90s have rust through holes from ild to severe missing alot of panel areas, you cali and oregon guys with just a hole in the rocker skins or whatever are extremely LUCKY and are spoiled !! IMO* 72;sdont even exist in midwest for quite a fewyears now, all became so rusted outthey were unrepairable and were junked just like most of the 73-80's have been also, i dont evne see 73-80 blazers, not a one, ever..

12. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Does a Bear sh!t in the woods?

13. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

LMAO!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thats great Raspberry!

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Mine has a little. I honestly belive it was a factory installed option on most first gens.....

John

15. 1970Jimmy

1970Jimmy Registered Member

Don't most women have a little fat?!?!?!