Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do people drive fast down your street?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Nov 25, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ever do anything about it?

Had a little incident last night. Now I work on my K5 over at Dan's house and see all the moron ricers zip down his street with kids playin on each side, and it pisses me off. Never done anything about it, but I was on the other side last nite and that pissed me off even worse.

I was in a residential area about 1/2 a mile from my house, going home from work. Turned a corner in the area, dropped it in 1st and wrapped up the engine hard before shifting to second. Now I don't have a speedo in my truck, but I estimate speed of no more than 15mph coming off the shift. 465 1st gear/4.10s/35s. It was about 5:30pm and already pretty dark. I see out of the corner of my eye, this guy is walking very swiftly out of his front yard. He's dressed all in black and I thought he was going to check the mail or something. Then I notice something is in his hand and he's not stopping at the mailbox. I thought he was going to walk out in front of me, so I slammed the brakes. Then I notice him screaming at me. I get out of the truck.

The dude is yelling at me for "racing" down his street. He had something like a chain in his hand and I thought he was going to start beating on my truck. So I get pissed and start yelling back. Told him that it was loud, not fast. Tried to explain standard transmissions and exhaust leaks to him. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Finally he backed off a little. I got back in the truck and took off...

I mean, I understand not wanting to see people hauling down your street, but man gauge the problem using more than one of your five senses next time. That was just weird and a little excessive to me. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've seriously considered it. Speed limit is 30 on the street in front of my dad's house. Most people think it's more like 50+.

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

People haul ass down my street all the time. People always come flying around the corner as I'm pulling out of my driveway, then honk at me when they almost hit me. If they weren't going 20+ over, they would have seen me pulling out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I also had a neighbor of mine come running out and yell "SLOW DOWN" at me once. I looked down and I was going 5 under the speed limit. I guess with a 350 and glasspacks, youare immediately going too fast. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Same problem in front of my place it's 20 and everyone drives like its 45-50!

Finally took it to the township and they voted for speed bumps to go in.

Never happened but I'm thinking about putting them in my self with concrete or something to slow these morons down.

My neighbor hit a kid on his bike because he was going about 30, yeah the kid ran the stop sign and wasn't paying attention but the driver should have been able to stop! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

HA! I live across the street from a high school! More racing going on here than Nascar. The posted speed limit is 25. I would say the average speed is 45 not including the racing that goes on. Someone is going to get killed here. I'm suprised that it hasn't happened already. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I don't do anything about it cuz it's not my job. Only thing the police are interested in here is harassing me for stupid things like playing drums in the afternoon. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i admit that i go about 10 or 12 miles faster down two streets here in the neghborhood, but if i see any kids then i slow up and make sure they see me too. i got yelled at once by some lady on state street, but no one was around cept her, and she hasnt lived there for very long, ive lived here all my life and have ppl in my family that helped build parts of the town way back years ago,. i even once lived in the house years ago that the lady yelled at me in front of.

still not all excuses though, slower is better in neighborhoods period

good luck

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I had that happen when my truck wouldn't shift out of first, I went for a second test drive for the day. As I come around the corner this dude start running across his yard waving his fist yelling slow down there are kids playing..... I hit the brakes and said what!? He says slow down there are kids playing back here! So I told him I wasn't even going 15mph my truck was reving because it wouldn't shift out of first gear and he was like, OH ok he said it sounded like you where going faster then you where... I just slammed the door back closed and romped the gas pedal and took off back around the conrer. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

people fly around my neighborhood all the time and yes i do yell through rocks hit there car with my fist or my foot whatever i can to make them slow down /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif last fourth of july i put a dent in someones trunk lid with a small propane bottle. on Halloween this year i put a huge dent in someones car as they cam racing down the street full of kids trick or treating /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif out in front of my kids school i use my blazer to make people slow down if i see them flying up behind me ill take up both lanes and not let them pass the speed limit is 20mph and they are doing 40-50 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif hell ill pull right out in front of them and make them lock up there brakes to make them slow down /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif when around kids you go slow period i have seen to many kids hit by cars /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I agree wit htrying to do things to slow the folks down but dude you sound like the guy I sent off to the county lock up last summer after I got my van.

I had a hole in my exhaust and he threw a bottle at my van and dented the side. The day I brought it homefrom the dealer! My wife had to call the cops cause I had the guy pined down in his drive with my knee on his neck and his face was purple. Really cool attack a guy casue he 'sounds' like he's speeding. He thought he was some hot shot until I embarresed him in front of the entire neighbor hood.

I regret doing what I did to him cause my kids saw and that doesn't set a good example but neither does acting like a 2 year old and trowing things at folks cause you don't like what they do. if you hit one vehicle and cause I wreck your 100% liable, thats the law.

If it's that big of a problem get the community together and force the city to put in speed bumps!

10. mudhog

i don't do anything to people who sound fast only if i SEE them go fast. ya i do agree it might not be the right thing to do but when it comes to keeping my kids and other kids safe there is nothing i wont do to keep them safe

11. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i was going down a street in my neighborhood at 27 or 28 (sorry!) and some old guy starts yelling at me. . . so i stop 100yrds past him, turn around and ask him why the hell he was yelling at me, so we got to yelling and finally i explained to him that some people use a technique called DOWNSHIFTING to slow down on hills. . . i was COASTING in 2nd gear. . . i'll also add that it should be a 35mph road. the only reason it's a 25 is so cops can pull people.

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well when it comes to my kids safety I do some not so bright stuff myself so I guess I understand that.

13. mudhog

well my kids are the most important things in my life so ill do anything to keep them safe and i will do the same for other peoples kids as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

And let's not forget about dogs and other living things...

15. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    And let's not forget about dogs and other living things...

[/ QUOTE ]
    very true very true /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif although i wouldn't give up my life to keep a dog safe like i would a child /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

haha reminds me, this one time me and my friend went down deeper into my neighborhood cause they are buildin a buncha houses, so we were lookin for a bit of mud for his durango. Well we roll down this street at 15-20, roll off into the dirt, and play around. When we are leavin we come crawlin out, 5-10, and theres this woman, 35-40, standin in the middle of the road w/ a car parked on both sides of her. She starts yellin about how fast we were goin and that her kids play in the road. Speed limit is 35, her kids play in the road, and we went 15-20 by her house. Btw when we went in no kids visible, comin out, no kids visible. Course she had a minivan and about 986 fisher price cars in her front yard. We were like yes ma'am, drove off, turned the corner, then started laughing.

17. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

my neigbors both drive like maniacs on the street. sometimes at least 45 in a 25. i dont get it, going that much faster for a 1/4 mile isnt going to get you to your destination any faster.

18. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i once got yelled at for going to fast in a golf cart. the golf cart is a 1984 club car. it has 10 year old batteries. its top speed is 7mph (i clocked it with my truck - i had to ride the brakes to go that slow). so you can imagine the flak i caught when i got my truck..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

seriously though, i dont ever go more than 25 through my neighborhood. if you can call it that. there's only 5 houses with permanent residents, and the only one with kids lives at the very end of the dirt road, so i dont ever pass his house. not to mention, no posted speed limit. i am full control of the truck at all times. i guess all the fuss is just my elderly neighbors needing something to whine about. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

ive seen videos of street racing through neighborhoods. they weren't pretty. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been yelled at a few times before for doing like 25 maybe 26 in a 25 zone. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    If i'm gonna haul ass i'll take it out to the expressway.
    Hell ya people zoom down my street...
    When i hear guys coming down my street winding it up i'll walk out into the front yard and i've prefected my yelling siren... My friends are amazed how i sound like a cop siren. I'll YELL "RRREEEAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!"... when they're passing by my house at about 50 mph... i usually see brakelights right after they go by me... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

people do drive fast down my street once in a while, but its not that that bothers me, its the people who drive BACK AND FORTH down my street, i love sitting outside when they drive by real slow and ask them if they can stare any harder for what they want, they usually haul ass out..on another note, i never go more than 20 down my road, that is mainly in an effort to piss people off while keeping my truck in first gear all the way down the road..