Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do Plug Wires Go Bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Esteban86K5, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Basically what the subject says. I've got the Jacobs Ignition wires on there and they are not burnt from the outside. I was just wondering if they go bad other than the obvious burnt outer or burnt boots? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

they go bad when the metal ends separate from the cores, or when headers burn them yes,

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The best way to test a wire is to check the resistance with an OHM meeter. all your wires should be less than 50ohms, I had one that read 1.5K or 1500ohms and that was enough to act like a 7cylinder engine.
    Good Luck

4. Esteban86K5

50ohms Got it. Thanks Burt!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

checking your plug wires with a ohm meter is what i'd do,but if you don't have one you can use a screw driver.take the plug wire off and put a srew driver right in the end of it start the engine and see if spark jumps to the metal on the screw driver tip. if there is a break in one of your wires or a bad spot you can't see,wait until it's dark go start your engine,pop the hood and see if one of your wires is arcing against the exhaust manifold or headers.

6. Esteban86K5

The majority of the longer ones are reading 1.16K and the lshort ones were reading in the .60K range. So I guess I need new ones. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The ohms readings will be different with reference to longer vs shorter. The longer the plug wire, the more resistance it is going to have. So take that into account when you check them.

I don't remember the numbers, but for a certain amount of inches of wire, there should be X amount of resistance that it can have to still be good. 50 ohms is not the number for ALL the plug wires.

I wish I could remember the numbers off hand, but it's been like 7 years since I used to be a mechanic and some things just didn't remain on the old hard drive (brain) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Ok just rechecked my dates and its been about 10 years since I worked as a mechanic!!! Getting old sucks!!!! It seems like I was just in High School, this can't be happening to me... Argh!!!!!!!!!

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had a buddy who's car wasn't running well. I poped the hood to take a look. It was dark out and I could see what looked like billians of glowing purple ants crawling on the plug wires! Needless to say it ran alot better with new plug wires.

Different brands of plug wires have different resistance. I don't think 1.6kohm sounds too high.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah thats one way of checking for wires problems, pop the hood at night with engine running look for blue or white light hehe

good luck

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I put together the 8mm blue Summit wires (made by Taylor) I messured each one as I crimped the end to length and I seam to remember that 50ohm number. Yes resitance does get higher the longer the wire is but it shouldn't be a whole lot, put it this way the less resistance your spark plug wire has the better.
    I had Jacob wire once, but for the money the Summit Blue 8mm have worked the best for me. I even had a set of MSD's that freaking bubled out on me not a burn bubble but more like a ballon /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I ran the OHMage and they were in the 2K range /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Good Luck man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif