Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do Rear disc Calipers Have To Wedge Snugly In the Brackets?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Sep 5, 2004.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I had a friend burn out a set of Caliper brackets, The problem (or is it?) that there is a gap between the caliper body and caliper mount, which on most kits ive seen look fairly tight. Now the brake bolts don't allow any slop, so I can't see this really being a problem...any thoughts?

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Did you use spacers when you bolted bracket to axle flange?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it would fatigue the bolts to the point of failure. The bolts are not designed to be used to hold the caliper, only to allow it to slide in one plane. The bracket is to sustain the braking forces.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Tim is right on the money here. You don't want the brake pins or bolts to hold the pressure of braking. I would suggest getting the welder out and building up the surface of the brackets and then clean it up with a grinder until the caliper fits snug. Remember it needs to be able to slide in and out so it just needs to be snug. That's what I would do if you really want to use those brackets. That or get a new set of brackets.