Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do rear lift springs really suck??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Jul 3, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Well my rear stock springs are pretty shot and I really don't wanna dump any more money into it than I have too.

Right now there is a 3.5" block under it, so I'm considering either a new set of stock springs, or just some lift springs. I don't want to lose flex so I am leaning towards the stock springs.

Blocks suck, blah blah blah, they haven't come out yet. I don't have enough motor where wrap is a problem and keeping the tires on the ground is more important to me anyhow.

The shackle flip is too much money for me since I would have to buy that and new springs anyway.

So...how bad do rear lift springs ride/flex. Looking at 4" Tuff Countrys. TIA.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

rear lift springs have a lot of arch to them, thats why they might not ride or flex well. the echobit shackle flip is under $100 and it bolts on.

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry, but for those who think that the only way to lift the rear end is a shackle is pretty close-minded. I run 5.5" BDS all spring lift and it rides better than STOCK. And for those who think that they don't flex, I'll take a picture of my 37" rub marks on my rear inner fenders. If you want flex pictures, gimme about a week to drop the new tranny in and I'll get her on my forklift.

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

BTW, pony up the extra money and get BDS springs. They ride a lot better and you cannot beat their warranty.

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Running 4inch Superlift springs front and rear. Flexing like it's my job! Tons of flex, the only time I notice that the things are stiff is on-road. Little jarring here and there. The only problem with Superlift is that they don't make a soft-ride type spring for the first gens. All they have is the HD springs. Stiff on-=road, but great off. Check out good flex shots at Webshots.com under "WRFDfirefighter184". /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I don't want the echobit lift either. Too much lift for me and its sort of a make-shift piece anyway. More opinions?

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have a 3" Tuff Country all spring lift on the 90. I like the ride and it does flex pretty good even though the springs are brand new. The kit came with 3" front springs and 4" rear springs to cure the saggy butt problem. I think I have more flex with them then I did with the flip and stock springs on my 89.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sorry, but for those who think that the only way to lift the rear end is a shackle is pretty close-minded. I run 5.5" BDS all spring lift and it rides better than STOCK.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think peeps think the "only" way to lift the rear end is via a shackle flip... its just a lift that makes a lot of sense for a lot of people. AFA bds springs flexing, they surely do... but prolly not as well as stock springs. BDS springs have a rate of about 425 lbs/ft... stockers are like 250 or something. When i did my shack flip back in the day, I took my stock springs apart, wire wheeled all 15 yrs of gunk off, repainted them with some cheap gloss black i had laying around, replaced the bushings and then put sheets of UHMW-PE between each and every leaf for its full length before putting them all back together. This cheap "rebuild" is just the ticket for peeps who wanna do a shackle flip and want nice soft springs.... as nice as BDS springs are (im gettin some for the front of my rig soon!), stockers in good condition are prolly flexier.

j

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

anyone know a internet dealer for BDS?

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

are BDS springs really that good? i have the 6 in on mine. they are a local company.why are block's better than springs???? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

blocks allow you to use a lesser arch on the spring which in turn makes the spring flatter and offer more flex...blocks are also known to induce axle wrap...

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    don't want the echobit lift either. Too much lift for me and its sort of a make-shift piece anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree. I have it and it is indeed a very stout, thick, strong piece. It is also well-made. The pictures may make it look dinky or hokey, but it is not.
    Just my experience.
    -- Mike

13. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone know a internet dealer for BDS?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah there is one called JDsoffroad.com or JDs4x4supply.com or some crap. 4" BDS front springs, $90 ea.

j

14. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I put a set of BDS 4" 52" rear springs in the front of my blazer. very soft, lots of flex. almost to much flex now!!pulls brake hoses right to the end! I took out the heavy overload leaf though.

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I agree with you fully, Jek, but some people just think that rear lift spings suck. I didn't mean to come off the way I did.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you fully, Jek, but some people just think that rear lift spings suck. I didn't mean to come off the way I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because most people don't take the time to learn about springs, therefore they only ask things such as company of manufacture or "does a bigger arch result in a stiffer ride."

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I love my rear lift springs. I have a little more travel than stock with em too. Plus they are 6" rear lift springs that have sagged to about 3" of lift which makes for good jumping with my 4" front lift springs.

19. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear ya buddy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif rear springs are definitely the better approach for some people. I know if I towed with my k5 a lot I woulda got new lift springs for the rear instead of da flip. All depends on where your rig is and where you want it to take you. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

boy i know about axle wrap. my 86 had a 6in's lift , with the block in the rear and i'd go through u-joint's constantly. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif