Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do Slip Yokes go bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rolled, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I have been having a problem with gear chattering (at least it sounds like it) when I decelerate. After running many tests I narrowed it down to the rear end or the drive line. I just replaced the rear end and sure enough, I still have the same problem.

My drive line has less than 500 miles on it and the ujoints look good (no vibes, just noise) so if it is my d-line I am thinking the slip yoke must be bad. Does this happen? If so, how can I check it to be sure. I am going to go down and get a CV drive line on monday but don't want to reuse the slip yoke if it might be bad.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Gear chatter? Under decelleration, with a 6-7" liftand dropped Tcase, my angles were pretty bad. a CV eliminated this noise. it might also be your ujoint, and sometimes a noise at decel. can be caused by a bad chain in tcase

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

"go bad"? lol! slip yokes start out bad!!! I'll never ever ever ever ever own a rig with a slip yoke again.

j

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I thought about the chain but I was able to eliminate the noise all together by removing the rear drive line and running it in 4wd. It was quiet as a mouse. If the dline is not the source of the problem I will be putting in a rebuilt tcase. Or, maybe try installing a new chain to se if I can get it to shut up.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if the sound was gone with the rear shaft out then it sounds like you found your problem.the slip yoke in the shaft has to be regreased about every six months to help it run smoother.maybe it is out of grease and has a little play in it.

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I'll pull it and grease it up today.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

can you use molly grease in the slip yoke, or wheel bearing grease? if this grease gets into the ATF in the transfercase can it damage it? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, ive never lubed up my slip yoke before with grease so id like to learn alittle bit./forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "go bad"? lol! slip yokes start out bad!!! I'll never ever ever ever ever own a rig with a slip yoke again.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact same thought was goin through my head when I read the subject.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just because your u-joints "look" good doesn't mean that they're all in good shape. I had a u-joint that seized up a bit but didn't have any of the telltale signs that it was bad.

I started getting this wierd tinny rattling sound when I let off the gas that sounded like it was coming from somewhere in the front of my driveshaft/TC. A buddy of mine put the truck up on his hoist and we realized that the rear u-joint was seized- the rattling was "echoing" inside the driveshaft. No wonder it threw me off.

Anyhow, just thought I'd bring another possibilty into the picture.

10. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

A ujoint would be nice. It would be much cheaper than the new cv drive line. I'll replace them before I fork out the $250.

Thanks for the help guys. When I do solve this problem I'll post back in all the threads I have about it so any future searches will provide my answer.

This is driving me crazy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Here is another question -

Will a slip yoke from a 91 np241 be the same as an 87 np208?

I found a cheap one already pulled that I might throw on just to ease my mind.

12. chulisohombre

i meant that u have to regrease the u joints not the yoke.on a standard shaft with a fixed yolk it has a grease fitting in the tube to lube the splines where the 2 sides slide in and out of each other.

13. chulisohombre

i meant that u have to regrease the u joints not the yoke.on a standard shaft with a fixed yolk it has a grease fitting in the tube to lube the splines where the 2 sides slide in and out of each other.also i would think about getting something that will eliminate the slip yolk in your truck.those things are good for cars that dont articulate like a truck but nothing more.