Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do TC-EZ rides 4" actually give 4"?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunter, Feb 17, 2005.

1. hunter

hunter Registered Member

Do TC-EZ rides 4" actually give 4"?

I have a 89 Jimmy with superlift softrides up front and 4" blocks in the rear with the stocker springs. It sags in the rear currently and I wanna get rid of these blocks and go with ez rides in the rear.
    My concern is that I dont want the rear lower than the front so should I get the 6" rear springs or will the 4" rear springs actually yeild 4"? (think my superlifts may be more than 4" rating...dunno)
    I know I can add a block if its too low but Im trying to get away from running blocks and pinion shim combos.

Any help appreciated

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd definately go with 6" for the rear in addition you may need a zero rate or more to make it look level. It really depends on how much lift you have now in the front and to me for a K5 to look level the back must be slightly taller.....A shackle flip will definatley give you 4" though.....have you considered that? :thumb:

3. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

tc

I just installed an all spring 6" EZ ride TC on my 89'. The rear sat way low, so I intalled a zero rate and a 4 degree shim for angle, and it sits perfect now. Keep in mind if you go to a 6 in the rear, you will need longer shocks. Also, I had to have my driveshaft lengthened 2". I was running 4" prior to my new lift.
    To answer your question, 6" springs will level your 4" front out, but lyou are looking at other mods.

4. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I have TC 4" all around and a 0 rate in back and the rear still sags really low.
    Just got a ProComp 2" helper spring to put in to try and level it out but its not in yet. Look into the shackle flip, it will also ride softer. Thats what I would do if
    I have to do it again.

5. hunter

hunter Registered Member

Thanks for the help, looks like I need the 6" springs. I thought about the shackle flip but I dred having to remove the gas tank and remove those dang rivots. I didnt think about having to lengthen the d-shaft or new shocks.

ahhh decisions decisions :D

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i just did a blazer and can get you pics tomarow. 3" body 4" frt and 6" rear with 37" tires .

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I look forward to seeing that as well

-Mike

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'm running 4" TC soft rides on all four corners with zero rates in the back- heavy duty springs in front. Even with a heavy rear bumper carrying an extra 35" tire and highlift jack etc, the truck sits level. I have about 5000 miles on the lift, many offroad, and the truck sits nice. I plan on installing a 4x4 iron front bumper next month (when it comes in) and a winch. If anything the truck will then sit higher in the rear.

9. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

I just installed 4" rear tc ez rides this weekend and it sits about 1-1/2"-2" lower in back:mad: . I will be buying a zero rate soon. If you want pics I can get some, just say the word

10. MITCH_89'

a pic

here is my new 6" tough country all spring lift with zero rates and 4 degree shims in rear. I like the way it sits now
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Wow love your truck mitch89. Were and how much was your hood....I gotta get a lift kit!!!!:D :grin:

12. LIL QIK

LIL QIK Registered Member

Hey Mitch 89...........I hate to sound like a rookie here..........well......but......I am.:grin: Anyway..........I'm fixing to order all new springs, shocks and tires for my 88 K5. Are you saying that those are 6" springs in the front and back? And can you give me a clue on how it rides? I think who ever had this truck before me just flat out lifted it the wrong way........

I was told it has a 6" lift on it and it's got 35's on it right now..........but of course it sags real bad in the rear (almost 3" sag) and the front is like rock solid.......you can put three or four people on the front and it won't budge.....and it has no shocks on it right now.

So I'm asking you this so I don't order the wrong stuff. I want your stance......and hopefully it rides nice.........So please treat me like a rookie...cause I am.....and please clarify exactly what I need.

Thanks for you help.

13. MITCH_89'

My hood is a steel Goodmark hood. I think I paid around $350, and Cant remember where I bought it. Did a search. As far as my lift, the Tuff Country EZ-Rides are awesome. I was currently running a 3" Tuff Country, so I was already sold. I thought by going to 6", the quality of the ride would suffer, but it rides frekin smooth. I am running Tuff Country SX 8000 shocks too. It is 6" springs all the way around, plus a 1" zero rate in the rear to bring it up level. I also added a 4 degree shim after the fact to tilt the poinion, as I was getting a little vibe. Now I had the Rear driveshaft lengthened due to how much it slid out of the transfer case (almost 2") and my vibes are gone. I bought a Superlift 1" spacer for the front driveshaft and it is perfect. Had to have my exhaust Y-pipe reworked since my front driveshaft was hitting. Longer stainless brake lines, took off the sway bar, raised steering arm (which I had in the garage) and longer new rear shocks. My old 8000s which were for a 3" werent long enough. My front ones were OK. I bought new 35" BFG MT. I love the way it rides, but keep in mind the "extras" you may have to do with a 6" that probably wont have to be done with say a 3" or 4". Good luck. Here is a pic when my truck rode on a 3" Tuff Country with 33s.
    [​IMG]

14. LIL QIK

LIL QIK Registered Member

I appreciate that........it will be a huge help.

15. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

here is the pics of my buddys blazer that he is redoing bit by bit. it has 3" body lift, 4" skyjacker frts and for now blocks for 6" kit in rear. he is going to do flip kit this summer. the rear springs are origanal old leafs so thay sag a little. the tires are pro comp xterran 37x13.50x15

andy blazer 101.jpg

andy blazer 102.jpg