Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do the 14ff rear disc conversions have the same stopping power?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock454, Apr 27, 2003.

1. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

I was thinking of installing rear discs on my 14ff. This is for my diesel burb that does lots of towing, do the discs have the same or better stopping power?

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Definately better!

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Oh, yeah. Much Better. I've been thinking about putting them on my 1 ton dually.

4. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Actually, I've heard otherwise! The main benefit of the rear discs is that they're cheaper to repair/replace and you drop about 150lbs from the rearend. But stopping power from the disc isn't better because the friction surface of the drum is all at the maximum radius from the center of the wheel (13" or something like that), but the disc/pad friction surface is spread from like 8-12" (however tall the pad is).

I proly didn't explain this well enough to make sense, but I know what I mean to say. Wish I could draw ya a picture.

In any case, I've head arguments from brake experts that say the rear disc conversion doesn't do a lot for increased braking.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Less brake fade is the is the main benefit that discs give you. Ask a tow-truck driver.

They also self-clean better. Drums can plug up if your truck sees a lot of mud.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its closer to 75 pounds that you lose. The surface area is less but it is more efficient. Clamping works better than pushing against a surface. I also noticed a huge difference when I made my conversion.

7. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Less brake fade is the is the main benefit that discs give you. Ask a tow-truck driver.
    They also self-clean better. Drums can plug up if your truck sees a lot of mud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I totally agree with both of those statements. I guess I forgot to mention those. If you're a hard-core wheeler, especially into mudding, then a disc swap is definitely a good thing because they do clean themselves so much better than the drums. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif