Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do the $99.95 Hedman Headers fit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Do they fit right on a K5? My manifolds look to be VERY restricting, so I thought maybe I could get these to help it out a little bit.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i had them on my 89 for a year or so and they do sorta fit. they hit my rear spring shackles on my front springs. other than that they fit just fine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

If you had them on an '89 then does that mean that those cheap headers have the plugs for the TBI system? If so did they work good?
    -Kell-

4. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Personally I wouldn't put on a "cheap" part. "Cheap" headers will succeed in is pissing you off. As soon as I can afford it I will swap out the "cheap" afterburner headers that were on my k5 when I bought it for some Thorley's.

5. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I've got the 150 dollar headmanns on my 85 3/4 4x4 chevy. The passenger side header fits great. The one on the driverside hits the rear spring shackle. It actually rubbed a hole in the header and melted my polyurethane bushing. I had to weld a 1/2" steel plate to the header to keep it from putting another hole in it. I've replaced the bushing twice now and it continues to melt it. Every set of headmanns i've seen hits the shackle. I would think that if they ever put them on a truck they would see right away that they hit and maybe angle them differently. They did add more power in the mid to upper rpm range and sound awesome. You might consider going with shorty headers instead of the long tube ones. You won't have to worry about them hitting at all.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really think you'd be better off getting GOOD headers like Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers.. [​IMG]

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what's wrong with some Hooker Headers? I am curently running the Summit brand header and it fits well in a '77. If you have a '89 you should go with the JBA shorty headers.

8. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

So what would fit right on an '85? I don't want to melt any bushings...and I want the cheapest i can get...shorty or long tube doesn't matter to me.

9. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Do the JBA shorty headers come equipped with the holes for the o2 sensor for the TBI engines? if so how much do the run for a set?
    -Kell-

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

11. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If you got a set of headers that did not have the o2 on the header, You could get a set of Collectors with that fitting.

Eric

12. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of Dynomax from jeggs, under $100, they fit just fine. I've had them about 6 mos. now and have had no problems.

13. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tell them you want the Hedman headers for a 4X4. I think they run about $25 more. These will tuck up a little higher and you will not have problems with the spring hanger. I have had these for 3 years without problems.

14. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

i just put the dynomax ones on this weekend, install was a breeze, only thing i had to do was trim a touch off the rear shackle bolts to give me plenty of clearance, i could have just swapped the bolt through the opposite way but that woulda been too much work /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get the Doug Thorley TRI-Y's [​IMG] Ther're not the cheapest, but they'll preform and last !!!!!!!!