Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do the rear shackle flip, or be lazy and use blocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 10, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I didnt want to use blocks in the rear of my '80 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4. I had come up with a homemade shackle flip idea that would utilize a front spring hangar off another frame. But, now, the frame is under a foot or more of snow 85 miles away, and I dont have the torch accessible.

The GMC is slowly coming together in my garage, and I'm all excited to get it sitting on all 4 tires again. So, I could just put 6" blocks in the rear that I have and be done. It would sit level and be rolling. Plus, I wouldnt have to modify where my tailpipes pass under the springs.

I suppose I could always do the shackle flip later.

Would it really be that horrible (as far as axle wrap and other considerations go) to just use the 6" blocks in the rear? It has 8 leafs from the factory plus an add-a-leaf. I'll be running 39.5" Boggers.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1042184911mountainexplorer">

Should I just use the blocks, or wait and fabricate the shackle flip?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Blocks
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Shackle flip
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Thanks for any input. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Just me but I wouldn't run more then 4" blocks in the rear. I'd just do the flip and maybe add some smaller blocks in or something to help clear those tires....?

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I ran 4" blocks and an add-a-leaf forever and it was OK.
    I wouldn't want a 6" block.

I think the echobit shackle flip is a good way to go - it gives 5 3/4" of rear lift and is a true bolt in.
    -- Mike

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I have 5 1/2" blocks in the rear and I haven't had any problems yet. I plan on the Echobit shackle flip in the near future but so far I haven't had any problems with my blocks and 39.5" TSL's.

5. mountainexplorer

The blocks were out from under my '81 Crew Cab. They are 6" (more like 5.5"), but like the consensus seems to be, Id rather not run blocks at all. With a shackle flip and my add-a-leafs, it would sit level with no blocks, plus it will have a 3" body lift, so clearence should be fine.

Maybe I'm just too lazy to do the work /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (I know I'm too broke to buy anything). I'm just all excited to get it on all fours again after being blocked up for a year.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do the flip...you'll be happier with the end result just knowing you did it right the first time. I bought my truck with 4" blocks and lived with it for a long time...but I was very happy to finally get rid of them!!

Rene

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I currently have a 5.5" block in the rear. I have plans to do something about it (collecting parts now), but it has been ok for me. Have mud raced with that setup and one Moab trip with them and no troubles. I dont think its that great but for awhile I think its ok.

8. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

well, this isn't something that is irreversable, you can always put the block in now and take it out later when you can get to your hanger or save up enough for the shackle flip, or do the poor-man's flip and use a smaller block or one of echo-bits extended shackles, i wouldn't like to use that block, but have before until i could change it out, and others have used them temporarily until they could do something else, bottom line: if that is all you got to go with right now, do it and you can always undo it later /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif BLOCKS AND THE SHACKLE FLIP ...LIFT IT TO THE MOON . no not really I"D just put blocks in for now and wait on the shackle flip I considered doing the same type of shakle flip useing front spring hanger braket of the rear of a wrecked c-30 we have at work . I just can't figure out how to make it work would like to here your ideas on this can't figure out how to brace the bottom of the hanger /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm doing the flip with 57's(leaf springs) the filp I'm using is just a bolt on type so it's easy to hang(if someone else does it for me)
    flip kit

11. mountainexplorer

Gee, well for just under a hundred bucks for a bolt on kit, it's not really worth all the hassle of trying to make my idea work. I hadnt really perfected my plan of how I would support it anyway. I think I'll see if I can save up $90 and buy a kit sometime soon before I get too impatient. I dont know why Im in a big hurry anyway, theres no motor in the truck yet.