Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do these spindles look shot to you or are they useable

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Nov 2, 2001.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Take a look at these spindels adn tell me if they look to bad to be used.
    This pic is my best spindle, I hit the thing with a hammer where the seal rides and nicked it...it is a little fuzzy but you should be able to see it, I dont want to use it if it is bad.
    http://members.home.net/brent795/spindle1
    I am having trouble finding brand new ones to replace them with, any body have connections?

ONE MORE THING!! How do steering arm studs come off? I hit them with the sledge hammer when I Was trying to get the steering arm off and damaged them, and I cant tell do they screw in or press in...any tips
    Brent

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

One is usable, one is junk.

As for the steering studs, they're screwed in, and you'll have to beat the crap out of the arm, get that out of the way, then blast them down real good with a penetrating lubricant, use a stud remover to get them out, go to the dealer and purchase new ones (bend over and grab ankles) and put it all back together.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I have a good source for spindles here in Southern California. I'm sure he would ship to you in the midwest. He will need your BOM number off the front of the axle. Ask for Mark; he's the guy I talk to. You can reach him at:
    Coast Driveline, (805) 656-8709.

Good luck,

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, one is good, one ain't so good. Try cleaning up the surface where the seal rides with some emery cloth on the bad one, it may help some. Do you have a driveline shop that carries spicer or dana parts? They should be able to get you a spindle.

BIGJ

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

they both look junk to me.
    and not because you hit it with a hammer, that could be filed down as it wasnt where the seal rides
    those were pitted bad, sorry

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Put a 4x4 block of wood on top of them before you hit them with a hammer and you'll never **** one up.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

better yet ask Red Dwarf about the slide hammer attachment he found for spindle removal. once it is apart coat the contact surfaces with never sieze and it comes apart easy next time