Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do these work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hobbs, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

Do these exhaust pipe expanders work? Will these let me take stock 3" pipe and prepare it for a slip fit system?

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Hobbs

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I think it depends on how much pressure you can apply to them before they break.

I have one that works up to a 2.5" hole. I tried to expand a 2.25" but it does not expand the pipe after it reaches that limit. There is still more thread room, but it just doesnt have the power to expand the metal beyond its original form. It does, however, work pretty well at taking the crimps out that get left by the exhaust clamps.

For your application, I think you would need to get pipe that is pre-expanded for a slip system. Though I may just not have the right tooling for it.

Hope that helps

3. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

All they are really good for is to expand a pipe a very little, or get a kink out if the pipe had a clamp on it.

If you want to expand the pipe, go to a shop that does custom work and ask them.

Also, keep in mind, you can only expand to the pipes limits then is just splits.

I used to run a shop that did custom work, I found out on my stuff the hard way.:eek1:

4. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

Thanks all. Thats what I thoughts.

Hobbs

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I own a couple different sizes of these...

[​IMG]

As the others said, it is minimal, but enough to expand 1 of 2 pipes the same size to fit over the first, remove crimps, etc... We used to use it on marine hose believe it or not...