Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do Tires Go Bad?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy'sjimmy, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

Long story short, pulled the motor 1yr ago then moved away been driving down to work on it, now its done :waytogo: Here is the question i have 36in Parnelli Jones Dirt Gripz on it, they look fine but does anyone think ill have a problem driving it 200miles after it sat for a year? All new fluids and has been driven a little by the guy who has been helping me. The trip is from Austin (San Marcos) to Dallas, about a 3hr drive doing the limit. Any suggestions? Its at the dealership i used to work at so i can get some in person advice when i get there, just i know everyone here deals with big tires way more often.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

One year is generally not long enough to ruin a tire if its been partially covered by the vehicle .

Longer than several years , and they are useless except for rollers .

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I saw this show once "When Good Tires Go Bad" It was crazy. I think they just needed more love when they were smaller.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Biggest issue, I'd imagine, is dry rot from sun exposure. If stored indoors and without pressure/load, tires are supposed to last a long time ... but mounted, and leaky, they'll crack especially on the UV-exposed sides.

I'd check them thoroughly for cracks... but I've driven farther than 200 miles on crappy tires. Do take it easy and make sure the pressure is good, as under-pressurized tires will heat up faster, that whole Exploder thing =))

-- A

-- A