Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do we have any electrical guys in house? I need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, Apr 1, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

I went wheeling well actually mudding yesterday and now my electrical system is acting up, my brake fuse burns as soon as I step on the brake, and it burns my dash lights too I guess they're all hooked up to the same thing? last night after wheeling I went to my girlfriends house and on the way back I noticed something funny that I did not have any dash lights, and than I went to the back of the truck and I did not see any lights than I hit the brakes and nothing and I was about 25 miles away from home and I had to drive home on the freeway so I did but I was freaking out not for the cops, if but somebody could've hit me in the back if they didn't see me but I got home safe and now I have to fix my lights ASAP so can anybody help???

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

This is my answer to all dash light problems, because I had a lot of problems w/ my dash lights that turned out to be the loose plug in the back of the instrument cluster. The plug is behind the speedo next to the cable. Just reach up behind the cluster and make sure that is completely plugged in, or it will cause all kinds of wierd problems, including blowing fuses.

3. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

So that would cause my fuse to keep blowing as soon as I pushed on the brake? I'll check it right away I'm at work and if I cant fix it I cant stay overtime and the overtime is good right here that's why I like it.

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Check the wiring at the rear of your ride. Maybe a big chunk of mud hit the wiring wrong and now the brake light wire is exposed to an open ground, or crossed onto something else, so when you put on the brakes and power that wire, it blows the fuse.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

check the bulbs in the rear housings while your checking the wiring. You probibly have a bulb/socket problem. If something doesn't look right keep it unplugged and see if the fuse blows.

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. It was caused by the insulation being rubbed away by the frame and exposing the wires. Just disconnect the wiring from the rear of the truck and pull it out all the way to the firewall (it's not that hard). Then check for worn insulation.
    Good luck

7. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Cool I'll try all of this if not I gues I'll have to take it into a shop or something.