Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do we need a bcs national champion in college football?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kumma, Dec 8, 2002.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

all this hullabalu about whos number one does is give tv announcer blowhards something to talk about on the tv. i liked it when each division would play and then go to there respective bowl games.

now im a michigan grad and always like the rose bowl game with its big 10/pac 10 match up. seems like it had more meaning than some bcs bowl could.

so what do you think do we need a bcs national champion, i think let them play there games and then if one team is undefeated fine let them be champs. to me winning the confrence and its bowl game means more than a national championship. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    to me winning the confrence and its bowl game means more than a national championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

First off, it's bad for college football when there are co-champions. Don't say it doesn't happen often enough to worry about; it happened 3 times in the 90's, with the last time being only 5 years ago. Second, MONEY MONEY MONEY. There are more corporate sponsorships available for BCS bowls because they are more 'important'. The idea of no national champion is rediculous in my opinion. That may be great for the 'spirit of competition', but if you aren't winning, why play? You are the only fan I have ever heard express no interest in the prospect of a national champ. I subscribe more to the idea of PLAYOFFS!!! NCAA Division I is the only level of football from Pop Warner to the NFL that doesn't have a playoff. Why? NO MONEY. It all boils down to the dollar bill for DI football. For instance, the University of Nebraska's football program funds 21 of the other 22 sports programs. This makes it possible for the U to operate without any state tax funds. IF they stop making bucks (even going to the toilet bowl will still guarantee the program a couple million), lots of other programs suffer. Blame it on greed. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

its all about the benjimins! aint that the truth.

the idea of playoffs is intriging to some but essentially scrap the entire system of bowl games for a 5-6 week playoff system. i just don't see that happening,nor would i like to.

i guess im different cause i dont give a crap about national champs, hell it didnt bother me that michigan shared the title in 97? i dont remember when or who they shared it with, whats that tell ya. guess im just part of the old system that likes the tradition and competition of college football, and not the money.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, I think it is needed. I'm somewhat of a traditionalist in regards to the bowl games, but the BCS system is a better alternative for picking the national champion. Now it does have it's flaws, and me personally, I don't think Miami has earned the #1, but they will have the the chance to earn it against Ohio State. Right now, it's the best thing going.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

just thank god it isn't Okiehomey!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I was just discussing this with my boss the other day. We both agreed that college football is fawked up when it comes to the bowl games.

To find out who the real champ would be, the NCAA needs to eliminate the bowl crap and just do the same thing the NFL does...division titles, conference titles, wild cards, etc.
    Just select the 12 teams that worked to get in the playoffs and go from there.

In the end, there can only be one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (And it's not gonna be OU either! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

7. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

and it's Ohio State. Maurice is gonna be back in health by january. Thats really all you need to know.

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and it's Ohio State. Maurice is gonna be back in health by january. Thats really all you need to know

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Please. Ohio State isn't within 14 points of Miami, even with Clarett healthy. Big 10 ball isn't even on the same plane as Miami. BIG, LUMBERING, and SLOW will get whipped. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Money talks and bullsh*t walks!!!! Give y'all a chance to get your dollar back, Bubba Ray says Ohio State bends Miami over and beats them into oblivion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Well, well, well...that sounds like something I can live with. Straight up? I WANT MY DOLLAR! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Straight up, mano e mano. Ohio State wins, y'all owe me 2 dollars, Miami wins, we're even. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

In the unlikely event that Ohio State wins, are you going to follow me around on yer bike declaring 'I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!"? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sorry for the vague movie reference. I saw it this week on TV. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nah, couldn't do that to ya. You got enough problems being a Husker fan. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Right now better a Husker fan than a Husker coach. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. thatK30guy

I thought it was gonna be "bye, bye Solich" after this season. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I think he will get a one season reprieve; although he is still the head coach he has resigned as offensive coordinator. If things don't look up in 2003 then there will be some problems. I think they took care of business where they needed to-offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator (along with d-backs and rush ends). It will all depend on who gets those coordinator jobs. Who is named the new AD will be an influence too. Hope you A&amp;M boys enjoy "Dollar" Bill Byrne. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. thatK30guy

"Dollar" Bill Byrne is a piece of $hit. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

19. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Yep. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif