Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do ya need a rear hatch and gate? does oregon rain require it?LOL

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by 55Willy, Nov 22, 2005.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

is there a real reason to put a tailgate and rear hatch back on a rig?

I'm settling for trail only rig I am thinking of ditching my tailgate and hatch on the willys and bracing the rear and doing a tire mount at the rear. nothing to steal plus my hood and doors don't lock anyways.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Wouldn't waste the time/effort/weight. I haven't had a 'gate on my K5 in years.

j

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I was gonna angle brace the corners and mount my back up lights there. i'm putting my ammo cans and spare right at the back with the spare angled up with my tool box between the tire and seats. i do want to run front doors to keep the mud and rocks out since my tires stick out WAY TO FAR.

i may add them later but i don't need them on anytime soon,LOL

4. jekbrown

bah, don't need no stinkin doors. Run some simple tube doors with some kind of soft material (maybe racecar window nets or just some sunbrella canvas) to keep you from getting pelted by the big rocks and call it good. Rocks won't hurt ya anyway. Last time I was in 'Crushers, Bob Williams big rig threw a rock about as big as a football about 30 feet and nailed a guy right in the lower leg / ankle. He sucked it up, quit being such a wuss. :grin: :thumb:

j

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have 15" of swamper sticking out.

plus I love the mud.. I figure by the time I R&D some tube doors I can have my other doors on, hell they are on now just need latches.. I did that the glass out since it was more cost effective,LOL

6. jekbrown

good point... would be nice to get the beast on the road sooner rather than later. What size swampers you gonna run?

j

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

38.5 x 14.5 x 16.5 tsl sx off of mitchs truck he had the yellow 70s they are on a set of kert aka cybrfire beadlocks via muddytazz and t-roy.

8. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

I run no doors, no top, and no tailgate year round. The half cab keeps me 'mostly' dry in the winter (as long as your moving). Sold my tailgate for $250 years ago and if Jek is interested I'll sell him my doors for $100 each. Just crank the heater full blast and dress warm. Keep rain gear close by as well. I think I shed 500 pounds by taking all that stuff off.
    Travis

9. Igorr

Igorr Registered Member

I wouldnt get away with that over here, it was 17 degrees when I went to work this morning. I think I burn more fuel in the driveway waiting to see out the darn windows than driving to work.

Les

10. jekbrown

lol! 17 degrees is a bit chilly... you could always bundle up like Nanook of the North though. :grin: :thumb: I didn't know it got that cold down in Bend. We are barely getting below freezing up here at night. Last night while walking to my truck after work at midnight, i almost busted my butt on some hella slick ice in the parking lot. lol!

j