Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do y'all think it'll really happen?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntsqd, Oct 6, 2004.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Do y\'all think it\'ll really happen?

Note the last couple of words here.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Do y\'all think it\'ll really happen?

Who cares? My detroit works great!

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I personally dont like air type lockers, seem like to much work to remember to flip the switch all the time when a regular detroit is strong and trouble free, plus I would hate to have to mess with all the air lines and compressors or such.My .02
    -Chris

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

That would be nice, someone needs to make a selectable locker for a 10.5" FF rear end.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That would be nice, someone needs to make a selectable spool for a 10.5" FF rear end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you.

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is up with the suck ass attitude /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif.

Some of us don't like having to fight our rig around a tight turn on a trail. He made a post asking a question, not to get your smart ass response. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeaaaaah...how long will that take?

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally dont like air type lockers, seem like to much work to remember to flip the switch all the time when a regular detroit is strong and trouble free, plus I would hate to have to mess with all the air lines and compressors or such.My .02

[/ QUOTE ]

And there a PITA to install. I dont care how many you may have done, there still a PITA!!! "Monkey Motion"

Selectable, hell a detroits selectable:

Unlocks-off the gas, under deceleration
    Locks-on the gas under acceleration
    DONE!

8. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I might have to look into one, I am shopping for lockers for my D60 and would like to with a selectable set up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

4WPW had an ad the other day that showed both the 9.5 and 10.5 14 bolts with an ARB option (each had their own price list and different prices). Just stirring it up, I don't think I would trade my detroit for one.

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I think a selectable would be good for up front just so you could turn easier.

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <snippage>
    And there a PITA to install. I dont care how many you may have done, there still a PITA!!! "Monkey Motion"

[/ QUOTE ]

This ain't an ARB, those can be a booger. This is like an OX, only with an air cylinder instead of a cable. Shouldn't be any different from any other 'normal' diff install until you get to putting on the cover.

I'll put you down as a No. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Selectable, hell a detroits selectable:

Unlocks-off the gas, under deceleration
    Locks-on the gas under acceleration
    DONE!

[/ QUOTE ]

My Detroit locks on heavy deccel too. It only unlocks on modulated throttle or no power & little to no motion.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is up with the suck ass attitude /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif.

Some of us don't like having to fight our rig around a tight turn on a trail. He made a post asking a question, not to get your smart ass response. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take it the wrong way.

I think it's great that they're offering a selectable spool

I just don't understand how anyone can spend $800-1000 for a rear one instead of $400 for a Detroit.

I turn my rig just fine with both axles locked in, not sure what your problem is on that one. I don't "fight" my 6,000 lb rig, I just drive.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Selectable lockers are a nice idea, yes. So is a self flushing toilet. Are you missing out by not having either of them? not really. I am not saying the should be banned, or never bought.

I think there is way to much speculation about auto-lockers than actual first hand experience. I have yet to hear "man I just hate my detroit I wish I had an ARB" I usually hear the opposite "after about a week I forgot it was back there." I have, on the other hand, heard people more than a few people cussing an ARB wishing for a detroit. That might be a dry as can be mostly rocks AZ thing too. take it for what it is worth. I am not speculating, I have driven trac-loc, open, welded, and now detroit. I am even thinking about a detroit for my tow rig/DD when I get one too.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hehe, how many times have we heard the question, "Are both tires turning?" from guys running ARBs? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But in all fairness, they are nice when you need to make a really tight turn, or your off camber in soft stuff (like sand) and being locked makes you just plow straight ahead.

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]

This ain't an ARB, those can be a booger. This is like an OX, only with an air cylinder instead of a cable. Shouldn't be any different from any other 'normal' diff install until you get to putting on the cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

OHHH ok, the OX is a much better design/setup.

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I personally dont care for the cover mounted actuator design.... Too many time I have seen a bashed cover so this would be in the way of possible damage.

If it were me, I'd go with the tried and true design of an ARB over the OX or T-locker. If I can afford it when I do the axles in my Toy, it will have an ARB in the front.

17. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take it the wrong way.

I think it's great that they're offering a selectable spool

I just don't understand how anyone can spend $800-1000 for a rear one instead of $400 for a Detroit.

I turn my rig just fine with both axles locked in, not sure what your problem is on that one. I don't "fight" my 6,000 lb rig, I just drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, why don't you do this: Find a guy with the same wheelbase truck as yours but with an open front. Measure the turning radius on your truck and his truck on loose dirt. Then you will see why I went with a selectable front locker. Also, get on a really off camber slab or something and try turning up hill with the front locked, you will go straight or go down.

Oh and to my favorite comments everyone regurgitates "let off the gas and it unlocks". Umm, how many times have you been on the trail, needing to make a tight turn, and been off the gas? I know I haven't... It may work great for the street when you are making a left turn and have a green light already. What happens when your at a right turn and a red light? You are already stopped so you must accelerate to get around the corner eh?

Bottom line, my detroit works fine for the rear but does cause undue stress on everything on the street and rocky trails when it's not needed. ARB in the front works absolutely perfect and shock loads from a stub or u-joint breaking won't destroy it like they do detroits.

18. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Bottom line, my detroit works fine for the rear but does cause undue stress on everything on the street and rocky trails when it's not needed. ARB in the front works absolutely perfect and shock loads from a stub or u-joint breaking won't destroy it like they do detroits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree. But locker selection is an opinion thing.
    What works for me doesn't for Tim. That just makes him wrong and me right. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Tim don't post things like who cares my detroit works great. He is asking a question and looking for input. That same statement could have been.
    I prefer my detroit over any selectable lockers for these reasons blah blah blah.
    See thats a nice respectable way to say things and your way is just being a complete A$$hole in most peoples opinion.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree. But locker selection is an opinion thing.
    What works for me doesn't for Tim. That just makes him wrong and me right. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Tim don't post things like who cares my detroit works great. He is asking a question and looking for input. That same statement could have been.
    I prefer my detroit over any selectable lockers for these reasons blah blah blah.
    See thats a nice respectable way to say things and your way is just being a complete A$$hole in most peoples opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm just so tired of all the speculation on 14 bolt selectable lockers. The design prohibits doing it inexpensively, the manufacturers know this, and that's why it's taken forever to offer an ARB or similar for a 14 bolt.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

I have an idea! Maybe, if you want a selectable locker you should not put a 14b in! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif