Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you agree with this explaination (lockers)?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Mar 11, 2004.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

From the torq masters web site expalining why to install a front locker if you have to choose between front and rear.

"A front installation will usually yield the greatest improvement in off-road capability. This is due to the general requirement of increased in traction under hill climbing or rock crawling. Under full climbing conditions, due to the angle of the vehicle, the rear wheels carry a much greater weight (weight transfer) and therefore, the front carries less weight and tends to break traction very easily. Once one front wheel starts to spin the other wheel stops turning and the whole front diff ceases to provide traction. At this point the load is transferred to the rear diff as if the vehicle was a 2WD and due to the increased load the rear wheels tend to spin and the vehicle stops. If you can stop the front wheel from spinning you have solved the traction problem. In addition to the traction performance a front installation does not introduce any changes in handling characteristics." /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Makes sense to me...It's amazing what a difference lockers can make! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It makes a certain amount of sense I spose but to my way of thinkin (admittedly the bank account has some say in this) that where you have the most transferred weight is where you want your most traction. For our little Ole Wimpy with the 203 we have to do part time kit and front hubs and then be able to do the locker. This is the plan but as we set we're gonna do the rear locker first. Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

4. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Ok I'll have a shot at picking it appart.

[ QUOTE ]
    "A front installation will usually yield the greatest improvement in off-road capability. This is due to the general requirement of increased in traction under hill climbing or rock crawling. Under full climbing conditions, due to the angle of the vehicle, the rear wheels carry a much greater weight (weight transfer) and therefore, the front carries less weight and tends to break traction very easily. Once one front wheel starts to spin the other wheel stops turning and the whole front diff ceases to provide traction. At this point the load is transferred to the rear diff as if the vehicle was a 2WD and due to the increased load the rear wheels tend to spin and the vehicle stops. If you can stop the front wheel from spinning you have solved the traction problem. In addition to the traction performance a front installation does not introduce any changes in handling characteristics." /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are somewhat correct. It has been my experience that when climbing if I had my rear locker on the truck would tend to push when turning because the front tires didn't have enough traction to pull the truck to the side. When turning on/off my front locker it didn't make any difference in turning...but it woulden't climb as hard.

They talk about the front breaking traction before the rear...well since with a true t-case the front and rear are locked together this is not true. They should break traction at the same time.

They also atribute the loss of traction in the front to the front being to light and then say the rear will loose traction because it has to much weight on it??? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    So witch way is it guys? Well I'll tell you one thing, the amount of traction (friction) is directly related the the amount of weight you have (the normal force) - the tires with the more weight will have the most traction.

I think the best reason for having a front locker is because of weight transfer...if I climb a steep hill and it is uneaven many times I will lift a front tire. If the front diff is open then the front axle will be providing no traction...but both rear tires will have traction. If there is a front locker then one of those front tires is still going to be pulling even though the other is in the air...persionaly it is rare for me to lift a rear tire when climbing so I don't worry about my rear being locked at that point /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

According to the instructions from Lock-right putting the locker in the rear will give much more added traction than if you put it in the front. The reason is that because of weight transfer the rear tires have much more grip so if both your rear tires have much more grip then your overall traction will be greater than if you only have somewhat good grip in the front and only one rear tire helping. Kind of makes sense looking at it that way too. When I installed mine everybody I know told me that I would benefit more from putting it in the rear and it worked great. Of course now I have a welded 12 bolt and my lockright is now in the front which is even better.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Dissagree, at least for this location. The rocks here are covered in mud and clay. They are correct in saying the weight will transfer to the rear axle, but if they are the ones w/ the weight on them I want them to have the chance to get traction. I've driven trucks locked front only and ones locked rear only and the rear only performed better.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would also have to say that having a locker in the rear would help more in most situations, especially when climbing steep grades. With the weight transfer to the rear tires during a grade climb, the rear has much more traction then the front. Therefore you have much more traction potential from having the rear locked and both tires spinning, than having the front locked in which neither tire have very much traction.

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

we do mostly rock crawling and a rear locker is a much better choice if you have to pick one.