Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you check your mechanics work

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kodiak, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I just got through looking for why I have a vibration after my lift went on. I had a local 4X4 shop put the rear springs in as I did not have a torch to cut out all the rusted bolts. I was shocked at what I found. One of the bolts holding the front of the spring on was loose by over 1/2 inch. All the nuts on the u bolts were very loose. I wouldn't even call them snug. This is with only about 40 miles of driving after the install. None of the nuts I installed on the front were anywhere near this loose.

Maybe this will take some of the vibration out.

&lt;a target="_blank" href=http://kodiak.coloradok5.com&gt;kodiak.coloradok5.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Kodiak on 12/05/01 03:04 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WOW!! Yer lucky you didn't loose your rearend!!!

To answer you question, YES I alway check the work I have done.
    If you like to work on your rig at all next time buy the tools you need and do the work yourself! I know money isn't allways available for tools but in the long run you will save tons of $$ and headake..
    my .02c
    Good luck and torque thoes Ubolts down to 150ftlbs....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My brother is my mech, And I still check his work....Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can't agree more with Burt4X4...
    If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.
    I've gotten burned before, just having some spring perches torched off and re welded at a new angle... the place got the angle completly wrong... It was at about 14* degrees and I think i needed 18* and they welded the perches at 0*
    All along I knew I should have done it myself.

I would definatly check any work you have done on your vehicle... just to make sure it was really done... and done right!

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I re-check everything (if a shop has touched anything). I even double-check everything a machinist does WRT dimensions and mass.

FWIW, a couple of decades ago a friend had a shop change the shocks on his MacPherson-suspended import and went to drive the car home (less than a mile and a half). On his way home the front suspension came unglued as he was rounding a corner and the entire front section of the car was trashed when he hit a curb and street sign post. He now double-checks stuff at the shop (when he has work done by a shop) before getting in the car to go home.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I do 999999999.9% of my own work. If my buddy Bob, (aka MUDNUTT) is not there to double check it I go over everything again. I realize this may come as a shock to some of you but I have a caught a mistake or two that I have made.

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

7. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I do 99.9% of my work too. I still double check it or have someone else check it! I had spring perches cut and rewelded and they welded them on noticeably off-center - Like 3". I could not belive how stupid they were. After I changed my rear axle I retorqued the u-bolts each time after I wheeled for the first 4 or 5 times. I always retorque my wheels after I get home from the tire shop as well. I also watch when they work on my stuff, if they don't like it I go somewhere else.

Never said I could spell!
    '70 K-20 San Diego, CA

8. jimmup

jimmup Registered Member

Greetings,

I to have had a real eye opening experience of my own with regards to cecking the work performed by a shop. Like the post from Kodiak, I had a shop install the rear springs becuase i did not have a torch to cut the rusted bolts out. Upon picking up the vehicle I also decided to go with an extended rear driveshaft just to be safe and had the shop send out for the part. They then told me they would install it for free after they pressed the new spicer u-joints in. When I fianlly came back to the shop to pick up my truck they said everything went great and that the truck was running (driving) like it was right off the showroom floor. When I hoped in the truck and started driving the rig I noticed that it was a real bitch to turn and that it seemed to wind up really quickly. I pulled over, put the truck in nuetral and found that the truck was indeed in w-wheel drive. When I shifted my trusty np-205 into 2-wheel drive and placed my reliable th-350 into drive I went absolutely nowhere. After further inspection (I looked under my frickin 72 GMC Jimmy) I noticed that the rear driveline was missing. Needless to say I had a few words with the shop owner. The thing that really bothered me was that he said he personally test drove the vehicle himself and it ran great at 70-mph. Two months later the trusty np-205 needed rebuilding. Any coincedence...?

Yes, I am still pissed off!

Take care and i hope to have some pictures of my rig posted very soon...!

Scott

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I too do 99.9% of my work and still check the work [​IMG]. You make a good point, we all should always check the work done by outsiders - for our own safety and as a quality check.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Well most of my vibration is gone now that I have tightened every thing up. I was just suprised a shop I had seen mentioned on this site many times did such work.

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

No I trust my mechanic if I dont do it. My dad is my mechanic and he has been doing it for 30 years and doesnt everything including full custom chassis setups on drag cars.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>