Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you ever get to the point where....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shupach, Feb 1, 2003.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

you just wanna give up. This engine has been such a pia, after finding out the engine was bored .030 over, i had to ship back the pistons i had ordered from summit and they were great about that, i then decided i needed new rods and went ahead and ordered those along w/ the different pistons, now i was very excited, all the right parts, i was gonna spend all weekend assemblying the engine and watch her come alive, but i ran into a second obstacle, the rods dont clear the cam!!!! now i pretty much hafta go through the same process except w/ the rods.
    sorry for the rant i just had too

phill

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

most of the time you can grind the rods enough to clear the cam without affecting them structurally .what components are you using? im guessing 350 with 6" rods?

3. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

406 w/ 5.7 rods, im gonna call summit and see if i can grind it but i really dont want too

phill

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't they make a small base circle cam for those kinds of applications? Maybe call Comp Cams or whoever you got your cam from and ask...

Rene

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Oh, i just slammed my 406 bottom end together last weekend. 406 W 5.7 inch rods(6"rods were toast) i had to grind the head of the rod bolt but that was it, if i were you id look closely at where your rods contact, i think youll be surprised how little material needs to be removed.

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

its not the head though, the rod is internally threaded so i dont wanna mess up the threads. grinding them off wont unbalance anything will it?

phill

7. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

hmm, yeah grinding will change balance a bit but nothing to be worried about. id go check with your local engine builder, probably able to help you some.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

yes, grinding will affect balancing. Any time material is added or subtracted from ANY of the rotating parts, the balance changes. If you are running aftermarket pistons and rods, has the assembly been balanced to match??? If not, you WILL have some vibration problems. IT IS IMPARATIVE to have custom engine's balanced. Even the slightest vibration can damage an engine. Even if you can't feal it!! If you want this engine to last along time, (most of us do!) then get it balanced.
    I have seen it all to many times, engines scattered for "no reason at all!" when you find the history on the building, it wasn't balanced. And the stock balancer was used for an 8,000 rpm engine!
    If this was a mild rebuild and not gonna be hammered on all the time, i could slightly understand.
    I understand the frustrations sometimes in building engines. I have built many. But how does that compare to the frustration of having to pull engine and rebuild it AGIAN. I have had it happen. Spent 4,000 on a wild smallblock, and never checked to make sure my new million dollar timimg chain actually cleared all the sand casting on the front of the block. well, it didn't!! just scuffed it enough to drop enough in the pan to ruin all the bearings and crank! Thank god that was MY engine and NOT 1 I built for a customer!!
    but anyways, you can grind a little off the rod ends to make them clear. Or as somebody else mentioned, Many cam company's make small base circle cams or off set lobes to clear this, but ALL the related valve train items may have to be changed.(special pushrods) not the "cheaper" option!