Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you ever let anyone else drive your rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 14, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Just wondering. I usually try not to unless it's for a work related purpose.

Not because I'm mean or a stingy friend... just cause it's always me who has to fix everything that breaks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I had brand new clutches in my Crew Cab and Orange Blazer. Hardly any miles on them. Last spring, I let friend's drive them around in preparation for the mud races, dragging car hulks, frames, etc.

It's almost like these people had never droven manuals before. I never slipped one of those clutches before... cause they were brand new, and worked perfect. After seeing smoke clouds a couple times, I was like "thats' it".

Same weekend, I had another friend driving the truckblazer, and it was still locked in 4-low, and he got on and off the gas, made it kind of hop, then SNAP... there went the 4 front driveline bolts.

I've had another truck come back before with a wasted throwout bearing and some scratches and scrapes, and a bent front tie rod and two blown tires.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no.

only about 3 people in the world I'd trust to do it, and 2 of them are my parents and wouldn't want too. The third is my gf.. she may try it eventually, but not offroad.

j

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I'd have to see how they drive their own rigs before loaning any of mine out (unless it is something I want to blow up so I have a reason to replace it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif).

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had my old K10 for 16 years, the only drivers were me, my wife and TARussell. So I guess my answer is basically no.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Very few people are allowed to drive my rig, and very few do.

My Dad can (but won't), my roommate/best friend (he helped me build it), me, Matt (az-k5) cause he is trusted and knows how to drive along with helping me build it (I only fear what he would do to the sheetmetal /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif), and a few others MAYBE.

One day I may let my GF drive it but not until I teach her how to drive it.

The only other person to drive it is a mechanic if they have to road test it and I explain to them that it has a welded differential and will act wierd.

They only people to drive it in the last 2-3 years since the mods have been done are me, my roommate, the trans mechanic.

Harley

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have only let my best friend of 13 years drive my rig . My wife has only so much as started it once . The situation has never come up where someone else would need to drive it . Fortunately if I was ever knocked out on the trail , I really believe any of the Ck5 members I wheel with will be able to handle my truck no problems , they are good guys , and know what they are doing /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Only my wife is aloud to drive and she won't unless we need her to to get unstuck. The only other 2 people to drive it was my buddies brother in law it was stuck and he stayed with it while I went for help, help found him and he drove it out and found us. The other person was my buddy and he only drove it to see what it was like to drive a truck on 40's, but I was in it. I had a girlfriend blow a motor and wreck a car so now I'm kinda paranoid about my vehicles. None will ever drive my baby, 79 camaro.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Me any my buddy switch rigs all the time, and my old girlfriend. They drive it fine, besides them, no one else really, people bug me to let them drive it all the time, thet say, "I want to drive your truck" I say, "oh do you" and thats it. I dont really mind, I trust people, but if something happenes, then im screwed.

9. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

theres only 3 people who will ever drive my truck and thats my dad, who basically drives for a living almost, my best freind for 15 years but only on the trails when gettin unstuck, and my other freind who actually was the first to drive my truck home when i bought it since i was only 15. no1 else besides that will get to drive it /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

10. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Only when I'm drunk. It's kind of like letting someone else borrow your boxers, it just ain't right.

-Chris

11. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Only when I'm drunk. It's kind of like letting someone else borrow your boxers, it just ain't right.

-Chris

[/ QUOTE ]
    That was the best answer I´ve ever heard and that´s what I do too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    But I don´t know if I would use the same boxers even if I´m drunk.

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

-Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

found new sig line /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have let a few people drive my truck, but I was with them at the time. Other than that it doesn't leave my sight. I have too much time/money into my truck for someone to take out and screw up in just a few minutes.

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nope just me! After having my good friend that i trusted total my buick NOBODY drives my stuff

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'll let anyone drive the Willy's that wants too.

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

no, not anymore, I might as well push it off a cliff,

the only friend of mine I let drive them is my friend david, but he has rolled his last blazer..so it's a toss up with him. Last time I let some one drive they nearly drove of a ramp and tried getting sideways in a dirt field /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I do not let anybody that is not listed on my trucks insurance policy to drive it because if I knowingly allow somebody that is not insured to drive my truck, and they have an accident, then I am liable for all damages caused in the accident. My wife is the only other person insured to drive my truck.

18. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Me any my buddy switch rigs all the time, and my old girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like you switch rigs and the girlfriend... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Me any my buddy switch rigs all the time, and my old girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like you switch rigs and the girlfriend... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what i was thinking /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i let alot of my friends drive my truck because they knwo what there doing, most of them have owned a truck liek mine, i think you guys knwo what im talkin about with the crazy shifting, and really stiff clutch, and not beaing able to stay in a lane, and topping out at 55 on the hiway, and not revving over 3 grand. i knwo some people who i wont let drive beacuse they drive hondas or somehtingliek that, and have know idea about driving a truck. and if they cant drive stick, they dont touch it.