Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you get a grace period?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Poohbair, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I just got my 2nd Jimmy put back together that I bought a few weeks ago. I can't get it licensed until next week due to difficulties w/ the title, etc...
    Does anyone know if you get a grace period of anykind w/ a new vehicle on the tabs? I mean, if I drove it to town this weekend and got pulled over, could I show them the bill of sale saying I just bought it and be OK or would I still be looking at a fatty ticket?
    I would like to drive it to town and get the tires put on it and wash it so that I can give it the rattlecan treatment!

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As long as you have insurance its not a problem. I got pulled over 2 months after I bought my blazer, which was like the third time I had actually drivin it because it was torn apart, and the insurance card I had was for another vehicle but no extra fines were added. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for not transfering a title except the extra charge at DMV for over 30 days.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have insurance and stuff, but the tabs on the Jimmy are from 92! It has been parked by the creek since then...it is a little rusty now /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't you at least need a trip permit to move the rig?

I know most insurances grant a 30-day grace period, but I think they maybe could get you for not having it registered or having a trip permit - but Washington is probably different...

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I would expect problems since it has not been registered since 92 but you have to do something to catch the cops attention before they will notice the tag is out of date. With a recent bill of sale and insurance card I dont think you would get much more than a verbal warning for the tags.

I just drove an expired S10 from WA where I bought it to OR where I titled it and no problems at all. Just dont give any cops a reason to look twice, especially dont break down so they pull up behind you and see if you need help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I will probably just drive it to town to wash and vaccum it, then back home...on the backroads. I want to give it a coat of Primer Gray but need to get the moss off of it that is growing on the side...

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

in Oregon you need a trip permit $20 for 30 days.

8. speedup

speedup Registered Member

The first time I got pulled over was in my Blazer. I only had my permit and was driving with my father. I forgot to put the trip permit sticker on and a cop happened to pull out behind me in town (downtown Sandy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Must've thought I was a drug runner or something because of the primer job...