Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you give gift cards?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Dec 12, 2005.

?

Are gift cards cool?

1. Ya, I buy them.

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No, they suck.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Who cares, I'm nekkid!!!

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I did last year, but I didn't like to. It doesn't seem very personal to me to just give money on Christmas. It's like it takes little thought and effort, and that's how I feel when I get them also. And then I have to go out shopping, again, to buy myself something, and I hate shopping! If gift cards are cool, then we should all just keep our money and shop where we want to, not where someone else decides. About the only thing I know of that they would be good for is if someone knoews exactly what you want, but just buys a card to make the $$$ transaction easier, or from a boss on x-mas.
    But then, what if the gift I buy them isn't anything they want? Maybe a gift card would have been better? A lot of times I get stuff that I wouldn't normally buy.

This year I have nearly completed the almost impossible task of buying everyone a useful gift. :saweet:

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I buy them only if someone specifically requests one.

I ask for them all the time because most of the stuff I actually want is out of a person's price range or the only way it'd be correct is if I ordered it myself. This year, whenever I'm asked for a suggestion, I tell 'em a G.C. from Summit Racing.

3. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

same here:crazy:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are good if you don't know what else to do. Think secretary.

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I give them for birthdays or graduations only. Not very personalized for a christmas gift.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I gave out gift cards to the employees this year.

I found out what each employee's favorite store was in a sneaky way, and then got the gift card from there. It was a lot of fun, especially when they opened their cards and realized how I'd fooled them.:D

Otherwise I think it depends. I was going to get my bro-in-law a gift card for Sears because he needs and wants tools, and I don't know what he already has.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can do gift cards and still be thoughtful to some extent.

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

For someone close I wouldn't get one, but I think they are good for someone you need a gift for and don't know well enough to buy exactly what they would like.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I do sometimes... i love getting them. No one knows what I really want/need more than I do... so just gimme a dang giftcard and I'll get myself gifts at day-after-Christmas sales. :thumb:

j

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I give and get them....

I feel there is nothing wrong with giving gift certificates!..I have given them instead of cash for many years now..I don't know what many of my relatives like, or would want for Christmas,so this way THEY can go buy what they need/want with the gift certificates...I get them too,and find them preferable to a necktie or wallet I'll likely never use,etc..

In fact,I just found 5 bucks worth of gift certificates in my bearau drawer I forgot about I got from Dunkin Donuts LAST Christmas!..so tomorrow I might have myself a good cup of coffee and a muffin,seeing its going to be 19 degrees for the high temparature...:crazy: