Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do you give money to homeless people...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Jun 2, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

...when thay are sitting on the corner begging? I always feel bad for the dudes, but I also think there's a reason they are there.

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Heres my Question... Suppose you did give a dollar to the Homless guy on the corner on your way to work, If he was still there on your way home would you need to give him a buck fifty (for overtime)? Or if he was there all week and then Sunday would he get two dollars (double time)?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

And its because of that predicament that I give no money.
    That and the fact that theres no way they are all USMC, Vietnam Vet, AIDS and Cancer.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I offer to buy them food instead of give them money. Nobody ever accepts though....

4. johnc

johnc Registered Member

If they are "BEGGING" then I don't give them money, /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifbut if I see a guy looking for food in the trash or something, I will buy them a burger or something.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

"Most" panhandlers are out there because they make more money than if they were to flip burgers for a living. Sometimes I have seen them use it as a convienent way to sell drugs and not look too suspicious...

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is a shame, I see the same people day in and day out in certain places with the signs near intersections and highways. I think if they have the energy to stand around in 100 degree heat and not die, then they could go take a shower at the "Y" and get a job /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

I do help people, just have to be very careful.

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I do help people, just have to be very careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. I felt very bad for a begger in Mexico a few months ago though. He had lost both feet, could barely speak and was drooling, he honestly couldnt help himself, he scooted around on a piece of cardboard, I gave him all the $$$ I had as I was leaving the country. In the US I rarely see people who are begging out of necessity, they appear healthy, strong and middle aged. I never see one year olds tugging on my pant leg asking for food or very elderly people asking for food......in fact they all seem to want $$$.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    "Most" panhandlers are out there because they make more money than if they were to flip burgers for a living. Sometimes I have seen them use it as a convienent way to sell drugs and not look too suspicious...

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know how conienent of a way it would too be sell drugs. I see police run thier ID's and frisk panhandlers quite abit in the citys I've lived in. Most drug dealers are afraid of "getting busted" so they usely don't sell to anyone they don't know. Ofcorse there are exceptions to every rule. I have seen many Crack dealers selling on street corners peddling there products. My personal opinion of that is strait stupid. Today I had lunch downtown at a local restront. A guy was panhandling out front of the place. I got him a to go order of a cheeseburger, fries, and a Pespi. I gave it to him when I left. He seamed happy to get it.

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got him a to go order of a cheeseburger, fries, and a Pespi. I gave it to him when I left. He seamed happy to get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

"Homeless, will work for food. God Bless."
    The universal sign of the lazy, that have found that they can make more money looking and acting pitiful at high traffic intersections all across this country than actually putting in a full days work. As I say this, I am sure there are truly needy people out there the need help, but in general I think most of these people have found a quick way to make a buck.

I am in consturction and have tested many of these "will work for food," types, and the last thing on their minds is work.

I have helped quite a few supposed needy folks, but will never give them cash, if they want food I will buy them a meal.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Were I live I never see homeless people... there probaly is, just not to many streets to hang out on. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

no i don't if I'm going to give anything i offer to buy them food and i have bought a few some food /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but most just want money /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif one of the local news stations did a report on them and they followed one in particular family the guy had the whole family dressed in bad clothes and they would all stand on the street corners and ask for money when they finished for the day they walked over to a nice SUV and drove to there house that they owned /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i also don't give to people asking for money out in front of the stores. if i want to give money to someplace like UNICEF(sp?) then ill give it to them not the people at the stores. there was a Romanian family in front of a local store here collecting for UNICEF(sp?) it was 2 adult women 1 younger teenage girl asking for the money and the guy that they were with was in a old beat up Datsun POS and if they let someone just walk buy he would yell at them in foreign language and broken English and tell them to work the people and point and yell more till they went after the people who just walked buy them. then a few months latter i saw them at the same store in a brand new mini van /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i wonder how they got that /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif to pore to buy a car but can go out and ask for money for charity then they are driving a brand new mini van /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I won't give them anything. I gave one a quarter once to leave me and my ex girlfriend alone. Beggers can't be choosers and he was happy with the quarter and left me alone.

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i never thought of it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I DO help everyone of them I can, If me&my family are out and we see someone like that I always hand them a few bucks. It's like this, they may really need it,they may not, it's not up me to decide who does and does not. When the end comes and they have to stand before GOD,they will have to give an account for it not me.I will have to give an account for my own actions. You never know, that might not be a "real" person standing there............something to think about. And yes my brother in law's friend done that at stores in another town from here, one of the guy's daughters made the mistake of handing him one of those "deaf and mute" cards, you know the ones where the person hands you a card that says something like: I'm deaf and a mute and i am trying to raise money for such and such.If you would buy a rose for a dollar you would help me in my efforts. Not exactly what it says but you get the drift. Anywho , the brother in law hollers her name out in the parking lot and shouts that he knows she is not deaf&mute and she better get out before he calls the cops......She left and did'nt come back /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Any how that's my $.02 on it.............

16. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

here I was ..street savvy L A deputy... 6-7 years on...transferred from the ghetto to west hollyweird to see a different population... anyhow
    On sunset blvd there was always this homeless guy who I would give coffee or a couple of bucks to... he never had shoes and his feet were in terrible condition soooooo
    I took pity on him and gave him a pair of older nikes I had...
    the next day I came in he was in the booking cage...
    charged with burglary and resisting arrest... deputies had to chase him for a couple of blocks though yards and over fences... caught burging a store for petty cash...
    when he was interviewed by the detectives he told them he couldnt commit the crime before because he had no shoes and knew he couldnt run away.....
    CURED my philanthropy... permanently...
    help a ture homeless person who isnt a crook ..sure... otherwise forget it....
    you know Santa Monice CA where I used to live had so many homeless (nice beach, good liberal rich stupid citizens, nice weather) the place was overun... loved having them piss in the bushes when I just wanted to take a quiet beach walk.... NOT)
    cam

17. muddbudd72

muddbudd72 Registered Member

last summer a guy had a sign that read "why lie i need a beer", i had to give him a buck.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

There is a guy with a sign down by Pier 39 in San Francisco that says "Need money for scientific alcohol experiments." [​IMG]

20. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    last summer a guy had a sign that read "why lie i need a beer", i had to give him a buck.

[/ QUOTE ]

i once saw a sign that said "NEED MONEY FOR POT AND MABY MUCHES LATER" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I think i gave a few cents but i don't usually iv'e heard that some of those guys make more money in a day than a average person would after a hard days work /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif