Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you guys set off left turn signals?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dysphemism, Jul 6, 2003.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if I'm the only one. I don't set off some left turn signals in either of my blazers. Anyone else have this happen? It can be pretty annoying sometimes. I think it has to do with the lights being activated magnetically, and too much of my truck is up high to set it off? Not really sure, that's just my thought.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif At first I'm thinking, why doesn't his left hand turn signal work? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But then put my /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif cap on ... you must mean the sensor in the road /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I don't think it's you. I'm at stock height and I have trouble setting some of those off too. They must have some sort of sensitivity setting in them because some work and some don't.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I find that at night if you start flashing ur brites at it they will turn. Maybe thats just here.

4. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

those "buttons" are quite good around here, to me anyways, now my motorcycle could never set them off though, i stopped it dead middle of the sensor and nothing.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Yeah, all the time...but the question is do you run it or back up a little and try again /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I say run it if no ones around /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

they are magnetic, plastic cars and motorcycles have problems with setting them off

I never have problems with stock height rig

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Yeah same here its something to do with police cars lights flashing going down the road the signals pick them up and turn the light green for there side of the road or at least thats the deal here kinda like a early warning system to keep ppl safe. I flash my Daylighters at them and that works real well..

8. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Some street lights activate by the white strobe in the center of the box, over the cab on the ambulances. Out here my fire truck sets them off by the high-low siren setting. That makes it a little harder to reproduce. Ours have a bright white light that flashes(on the street light) when you activate it. You will be able to see extra hardware if the light even has the capability.

To answer the question I think the street lights just /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Probley a matter of timing. I'm willing to bet your truck has enough metal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we don't have lights that work off sencers here in mich. but i do have trouble at some fast food drive throughs , with my lifted trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont have any problems at fast food places.they usually hear my truck pull up to the speaker box.probably hear me coming up the road before i get there.haha.almost all of our stoplights are timed in my town.no sensors except the flashers can set them off for cops to get through i think.

11. boggerless

i have a reasonably loud exaust, but i allway's have to pull up to the pay window and order. they say they did not know i was there.( i know too many l's in alway's). /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I got stuck in a parking lot one time cause the gate sensor didn't pick up my truck. The attendant had no idea how to raise the gate manually and had to call someone. That was kinda annoying. If I'm the only one at a light around here at night and it won't change, I run it. I even had a trooper wave me through a light since it wouldn't change for either of us.

13. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Steve_Chin had a post about this years ago .. something to do with magnetic fields in some types of them and how some lifted trucks had problems.

IIRC (and I probably don't) .. there was something about reving the engine to create a field disturbance?!? Or maybe I have it all messed up after all this time

14. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i have problems all the time!! it sucks! i'll usually wait 5 minutes then runt he light, then every time it changes within 30 seconds that's frustrating, at night i go with the "no cop, no stop" policy and i treat lights in dark areas like yield signs (i'm talking like 1-4 in the AM) that's just me.

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This happens to me periodically in both my vehicles (K5 on 33's, Mitsubishi Eclipse). If it seems to be happening, I'll slowly creep forward and that seems to do the trick most times. At lights that I know have sensors, I make sure to stop AT or BEFORE the white "stop line". Too far forward of that and the sensor doesn't seem to notice you.
    My experiences seem to support the theory about "disturbing the magnetic field enough"...

16. boggerless

why would anyone think those things work anyway. if it doesn't work for you guy's how many people are stuck behind you? in mich we just have turn signal's for a left.it works pretty good except for the occational moron. does it help over all? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

out here there usually two or three sensors per lane at each int. so lets say i dont set it off the guy behind me usually will (if there is one). i drove my bros ta once all aluminium block, fiber glass and little metal, people opposite of me got green and arrow and i got skipped, i cussed (f word)real loud and just than remembered the windows were open and t tops off, than a woman loading her stuff into a car looked at me and smiled, i was like sorry sorry, and then popped a burnout ue and into a parking lot and took off. would have stayed for another shot but was afraid she was gonna have cops bust me, you know the cussing in front of a woman thing. screw that. reather risk peelout ticket than that.
    don't like the sensor thing, especially that more and more cars are becoming none metal, there gonna be usless in a fiew years, and on top of it i believe that timed lights would work better if set up right (drive speed limit with no treffic and make all of them as long as youre going straight, that would rule, sensor or timed are probaboly same for heavy traffic) turn lanes and side streets would be the only ones that would benefit from sensors the way i see it, or if youre gonna use sensors put them ways away from int. so that you don't have to stop for every single fricken light to activate the fricken thing, usually let a guy go infront of me to "push the button" late at night, that way its green when i get there.

18. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I thought you had to go past your turn,make a U turn and then turn right if you want to go left in Mich.{Detriot}. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i have the same prob with my bike i have seen advertisement for something to put on your bike to help changet the light. i guess it would work on my Jimmy 2.

20. boggerless

only on divided high ways. i know most truckers call those a mihigan u-turn.we have a turn light that flashes red for the left turn lane as soon as the light turn's green. if their is no one coming you can go. if their is someone coming the light will turn green for you in 10 saeconds, and you get to go. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif