Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do you guys think this would work??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Feb 27, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok this is what im thinking for my blazer...i want a locker in the rear end, im thinkin a detriot in the rear..ok now i've heard if u put a detroit in the front it is a bad idea..this truck is my everyday driver, so im thinkin what about an ARB Air Locker?? cuz u can activate it with the push of a button right? so would that setup work? i know i only have a 10 bolt front/rear, but i dont have enough money/knowledge to get new axles.. somebody will tell me to upgrade the axles but i cant right now..my first goal hopefully is to get the detroit in the rear! any pros/cons of what im thinkin??

2. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Funny thing about locking your rear end, you can get a 14 bolt axle AND buy a detroit for it for it AND do it yourself for less that you will be able to put a detroit in your rear 10bolt because you will definatly have to pay someone to do that. And as a little encouragement, if you can change your spark plugs you can swap a rear axle, it really easy, 14 bolts/nuts have to come off, and 1 brake line. I think some guys said you will have to shorten your driveline, but the benefits would be wonderful for the future.

andy

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

sounds easy and all..but with a 14bolt that will give me less ground clearence... its huge compared to a 10..i understand how it sounds easy, so i get what ur sayin.. by the way i dont have spark plugs! haha diesel baby!! do u think a 12 bolt would work? and keep the 10 bolt front??

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

12 bolts arent worth the swap,and if you cant afford diffrent axles,you cant afford an arb,a compressor to run it,and pay to set it up.find a 14 bolt and buy a detroit for it.cheap.arb,very expensive.

5. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do u think a 12 bolt would work? and keep the 10 bolt front??

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's what I am doing. There is only one reason why I am not getting the 14ff. I got the 12 for real cheap. Being in the military with a family, I don't make enough to do upgrades that are over $150-200 at a time and 14 around here go for 350-400. still less than a brand new detroit. A 12 is better than a 10. But not by a whole lot.

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have a 10 bolt diff. and I put a lock right in it about a year ago. Much cheaper than the detroit and easier to install, strengthwise something else would probably break before the lock-right breaks so to me that was the best option. Later if you want to upgrade the rear diff. you can take it out and put it in the front. I would like to mention that I run 33/1250 tires and I try to not be too hard on the gas. Besides using it for wheeling this is my daily driver.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 10 bolt diff. and I put a lock right in it about a year ago. Much cheaper than the detroit and easier to install, strengthwise something else would probably break before the lock-right breaks so to me that was the best option. Later if you want to upgrade the rear diff. you can take it out and put it in the front. I would like to mention that I run 33/1250 tires and I try to not be too hard on the gas. Besides using it for wheeling this is my daily driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same.
    Don't put your money on a detroit for the 10bolt.
    Lock right is $280 and you can install it yourself in 2hours.
    It took me 1hour.

8. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

what the hell is a lock right? i want something that gives equal power to both wheels all the time..so y shouldnt i go with a detriot? i dont want to get a 14blt..so does a 12blt suck or what? god all this sh$! is so confusing!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, here I go about to get flamed...

I run 1/2 ton gear. I run a D44 front and 12 bolt rear. I also run 38x12.50 swampers on 8" wheels. I have had ZERO issues and I DO wheel the crap outa my truck. I am NOT a throttle jockey and I know the limits of my rig. I have been in several situations where I thought I was going to break something, but didn't. The 12 bolts aren't as crappy as most would have you think. I can build the hell out of it and my front D44 for a lot less $$ than going 1 ton. Also, the only difference in strength between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton D44 is the # of lugs. So why should I go through the expense of upgrading it (front D44) when it really wouldn't be ANY STRONGER than what I already have. As soon as I get the locker in the front, I'll take it anywhere a 1 ton rig will go. If you know how to drive it, your chances of breaking stuff are significantly reduced. That statement was not made to infer anything about anyone or there rigs. It is just a simple truth. SO, IMO it's your personal choice on what to do.
    I can build the sh*t out of a 1/2 ton truck, keep the killer ground clearance, and wheel it with the best of them for A LOT LESS $$!! Also when you go D60 and 14bff, you lose ground clearance so you HAVE to increase your tire size to make up for it. A 14 bolt with 38's have almost the same clearance as a 12 bolt on 35's, give or take an inch.

With all that said, I will also wholeheartedly AGREE that you SHOULD NOT run anything more than a 38" tire on 1/2 ton gear. Most here would say 36" or smaller, but I have been running them for awhile (many years on many different trucks) and as long as I drive it right, I'm fine. The only time I have broken something is when I just shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.

My advice is to take the time to really think about what you want, the REAL use of the truck, and what you can afford. I'd rather have a 1/2 ton truck that I can take out and have fun than a never finished torn apart project that just sits there. There are those who will call me and idiot, so be it.

Ok, let the /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif begin..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

Lock right replaces spider gears and works just like a detroit locker including all the bad traits i took mine out of the rear and put in front
    90 jimmy 35/1250s street 950/34s trail /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Go 14bff if you really want a detroit cause detroit for 14bff is way cheaper. I don't know anything about other lockers mentioned. You might want to look at the new E-lockers for the front. Not sure about price but they are probably comparable to ARB and all the crap to support it. No matter what you put in the front, it will only affect you when the hubs are locked in, obviously, so don't spend a bunch of money on something that never gets used.
    Just my .02