Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you have a heavy duty transmission?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The latest ad on the back of Time Magazine.

[​IMG]

I want one.

2. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Not to sound like an ass but what if we compare frt axles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    (and yes I own a 4x4 F350)

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I don't know, the actual IFS shafts are pretty beefy. I just thought it was pretty funny. It is interesting how the marketing crowd sees stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean.
    I wonder how many hours they spent comparing parts to come up with that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know what you mean.
    I wonder how many hours they spent comparing parts to come up with that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats that? the only part tougher than a Ford part?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am a Chevy fan of course but I can never help but point out the loopholes in ads, they don't actually say what shaft those are. There is probably one of similar type in the other transmissions they just chose not to show those. Hell for all we know that ford shaft could be out of a pinto.

7. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

You can't forget GMs heavy duty rear-end with the 11 and 1/2 inch ring gear. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Yall make this sound like a F@RD site... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

yeah really guys, chevy just eats f@rd and dodge. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am a Chevy fan of course but I can never help but point out the loopholes in ads, they don't actually say what shaft those are. There is probably one of similar type in the other transmissions they just chose not to show those. Hell for all we know that ford shaft could be out of a pinto.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a transmission more heavy duty than any of those. That ad is for an AUTOMATIC. If you're going to brag about strength, comprere manuals.

11. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

lol..It kinda reminds me of when I was cruising around Turbo Diesel Register a while back and they were comparing connecting rod size of a 5.9B cummins, a older Powerstroke and a 6.5TD. Well of course, the 6.5 had the smallest rods and the Cummins had the biggest...but what people fail to see is that the cummins also has the highest displacement per cylinder and the 6.5 has the lowest displacement per cylinder...

What I am getting at is it is ALL relative and EVERY part on every truck has a weakpoint from the factory. That is why there are guys like us that eliminate those weakpoints...

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

What I am getting at is it is ALL relative and EVERY part on every truck has a weakpoint from the factory. That is why there are guys like us that eliminate those weakpoints...

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN BRUTHA !! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a transmission more heavy duty than any of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tranny is that?

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What tranny is that?

[/ QUOTE ] SM465

15. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

sm465's break too...I saw one break at a pulling event back in Pennsylvania..The rear output shaft sheared off...

As soon as you replace a weakpart with a strong part, you make another part the weak link...

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    As soon as you replace a weakpart with a strong part, you make another part the weak link...

[/ QUOTE ]
    You my friend...just explained the main frustration and obstacle in modifying any automotive vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gifMy theory has always been to make the weakest link the traction between the tire and terrain. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

It doesn't matter if you have 1 ton gear or rockwells...if you have another part that is weaker than the "breaking loose" part of traction...you WILL break something as soon as enough stress is put on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The "weak link" in my rig is between the skinny pedal and my wallet. And I certainly dont want my wallet to start becomming my weak link!!!!! Its weak enough!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You my friend...just explained the main frustration and obstacle in modifying any automotive vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gifMy theory has always been to make the weakest link the traction between the tire and terrain. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

It doesn't matter if you have 1 ton gear or rockwells...if you have another part that is weaker than the "breaking loose" part of traction...you WILL break something as soon as enough stress is put on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, that must explain why you run boggers, since you mainly run mud. Wait a minute, that makes no sense... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What tranny is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not specifically talking up the SM 465. But the ZF trans that comes in the Ford and Chevy trucks nowadays puts any light truck auto to shame.

20. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What tranny is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not specifically talking up the SM 465. But the ZF trans that comes in the Ford and Chevy trucks nowadays puts any light truck auto to shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

The acutal transmission itself, may be able to hold more tq input, but the clutch for those trannies are having problems for any power level much more than stock and some are having problems at stock. Many of the DMax guys with the ZF are having clutch problems.

IMO the number of clutch problems for manuals is greater than the number of guys having trouble with the Allison at all, on a ratio basis. Because there are more Allison trucks than there are ZF trucks.

I speak from experience when I say that my Allison holds plenty of power period. My DMax is pushing over 700tq and 390HP. Thats alot for ANY tranny. In fact my auto transmission is a part of my 14.8 1/4 mile run at 97mph. That number may seem high to a 1/4mile dragger... But my truck weighs in at 7628lbs with me in it. The 97mph was running against the speed limiter. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John