Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you have bad driveline vibrations?? I fixed mine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Nov 11, 2004.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Well a while ago when all the Forums were free I posted a question on some bad vibrations that I had in the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif. They happened when I got up to 50+ MPH and then would lightly ease up on the throttle to maintain speed. I would get a bad GRRRRRR and a felt vib thru the floor boards and pedals. If I kept in the throttle to jumped off the throttle so it was slowing down pretty quick no vib or noise???
    Well I change the u-joints and spaced down the TC. Didn't help! So finally I took it to a shop to get it figured out.
    They found that the Pinion bearing was bad. So I took it to the diff shop that installed my 4.56 gears. Yep sure enough the bearings were toast almost worn thru the races. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    So they change out the pinon bearing and make sure all is good. Then they ask if I had the driveshaft balanced? Nope so they say well the factory plastic retainer u-joints were replaced so the driveshaft has to be balanced! Okay 70 bucks later it is balanced! It was out enough that they said it was like hammering on the shaft with a 5 lb hammer at 60 MPH. So they then tell me the TC is toast too cause it had some metal filings in it, 850.00 to R and R it. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif I said no thanks fill it up and give it back. So we took it on a trip to Denver and it ran smooth with almost no noise or vibration. But it was bothering me about the TC. So I took it off and dropped it off at another local TC and diff shop. They went thru it and didn't find anything wrong /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif!!! So they did new seals, new heavier shifter fork springs and pads, spacers or whatever they are around the planetary gears and new bearings on the output shaft, cost me 250.
    Now the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif is smooth as glass and the leak in the TC is gone. So the cause of all this was the driveshaft being out of balance a whooping 70 bucks would have saved me 600 bucks on other repairs. So if you have some vibs or weird sounds check the driveshaft.

HTH some one else.

Tim

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the EXACT same vibs at high speeds, worse in OD for some reason. It's either on the fuel or off otherwise that bad GRRRR gets bad between coast and power. I made a thread a while back about this and there was numerous guys with the same problem. I have not yet solved the problem but we did come to the conclusion that it was from bad driveshaft angle, not the proven culprit though.

The difference between you and I though are that I have new pinion bearings in my 14BFF, brand new 4" 1350 shaft comletely balanced, and a rebuilt 241 about 10K ago. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. blazen86

blazen86 Registered Member

Well dag on I was starting to wonder what was vibrating back there. I should check that out, I thought I was going to have to rebuild the whole rear end. But mine vibrates at about 70 mph.

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm,

I never heard of needing to rebalance your driveshaft when replacing the stock U-joints (plastic injected type) and I buy my U-joints from the same shop that does my driveshafts. I also wonder about a vibrating driveshaft destroying a pinion bering. Sounds to me like the shop installing your gears tightened the pinion too much, THAT is a common cause of pinion bering failure.

Kinda strange they told you your transfer case was shot and needed $850 of repairs and when you took it to the other shop, they said it looked fine.

I think you need to find another shop!!

Good Luck,

Eric M.

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have the same prob, it almost sounds like it is coming out of the tranny??? Did your vibes feel like they were coming from the tranny hump? Come to think of it, it didn't start till I raised the t case back up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I guess I can lower it again and see what happens /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the same prob, it almost sounds like it is coming out of the tranny??? Did your vibes feel like they were coming from the tranny hump?

[/ QUOTE ]Yep! I figured I had a cracked flex plate but I checked it and it's fine from what I can tell.

7. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

was your grrr noise at 10 to 25mph and then up at 50 + or only at 50 plus and did it feel like you were in 4wh when you definatly werent if so pleeeeas reply this a sudden new prob and i dont know enough about rearends or t cses to diagnose and it drives me insane /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

My vibration starts at about 20-25mph. I can feel it through the floor board, and i can hear a weird noise like metal rubbing agianst each other.