Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you have softtop pics?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gen1blazer, Jan 27, 2003.

1. gen1blazer

gen1blazer Registered Member

Does anyone have pics of their softtop on their blazer? If you do, could you please post them here? I have a new Besttop, and would like to know what it looks like before I start drilling holes in the windshield frame. Reason being I have seen a couple of diferent tops, and there was one out there that I didn't like too well. If I remember correctly the rear window was very slanted, too laid over for my likes. The others are cool, I just don't know which are which. TIA for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. silver

silver Registered Member

3. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Take a look in my pics. I have the Specialty Top Snap-Top.

Evan

4. gen1blazer

gen1blazer Registered Member

I am glad you are not offended, no offense was meant. You are correct though, your top is the one I'm not too fond of. IMO(take it for what it's worth) it gives the overall appearance of the International Scout look. So I take it that the Bestop is more vertical in the rear? Their website does not show a photo of my top unfortunatly, but I got a good deal on it so I might as well use it. Thanks for the help(pics) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

you might want to take a look at the specialty top co's fast track top. its square in the back like the best top only better built and quieter on the road. I will take some pics of my K5 as soon as I get it off blocks (In the middle of a spring swap) So, maybe this weekend? If you want them, send me a PM or I will lose the thread.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Two questions?
    1) I thought Bestop had not yet developed a top for 1st Gen K5s.....Do they have one now?

2) I've seen many pics of the STC snap type top and I am leaning that way. Does anyone have any pics of the fasttrack (I've only seen the one pic from there website)? How about any pics from the inside of the STC tops...I'd like to see the hardware over the doors and how the hoops attach on the inside.

OK, I lied! How about a 3rd question?
    3) How is the snap/fasttrack disassembly? Is it reasonable to think that I could remove/replace it daily? Do the hoops and hardware stay with the truck when the top is down or do you completely remove them? Anyone have pics?

Thanks in advance....it would be great to be able to drive again when it looks like rain or during those intensely cold days we get in Houston (40 degrees, he he)!!

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Bestop does make a soft top now (I have one). It is their tiger top (lower end of their line). They were going to bring out a higher end top but there is no eta from what I have heard.

8. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

9. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if I'm just dumb or not(well, I guess I am)but your links said I was unauthorized to view/download them.

Evan

10. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Sorry man. I'll get a link up that works.

11. BigOrange

BigOrange Registered Member

Re: Do you have softtop pics?- Custom??

I have another email out to Best Top to see if they are ever going to do anything for our rigs. If they would make a supertop version for the 1st gens that would be the way to go.

I have also been talking to a couple of local marine companies here in Houston and will meet with one of them this week to see about making a custom top. They claim that they can make one that is better than anything else out there. We'll see.

Is there anyone out there that has gone the custom route? Did it work out? Have nay pics? Seems like there a lot of custom top shops around, but I haven't seen any Blazers on their web sites.

It seems one of the biggest problems is around the doors and windshield. I had an idea to solve that...let me know if you think it is possible. If you had a fiberglass shop chop up a hard top so that all you had left was a 6-8" trim around the windsheild and back behind the doors to the first bolt holes you would have a sweet seal. At that point you could figure out a way to secure the soft top to that frame in the front and then have some kind of rail system, like the Besttop, for the rear and tail. Dumb idea?

12. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Thats the sam Idea I had but I was not going to have it cross the windshield. Instead I was going to use a rail that is used to secure a tonoe cover and have it done fastrac style. I think a combo of the two might be the way to go.

13. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

i have a fastrac top on mine also....you can see pics on my webshots page or if you want others just send me a p.m.or e-mail.

later, todd

14. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I have the old Kayline button down soft top. Pics in the signature link...

15. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

I spoke with a guy from Can-Back regarding tops for our 1st generation vehicles and they will not be making a top for our application. He said it would be too cost prohibitive. However, he said that if the price was right they would sell their mateiral and if the price was really write they might custom fab a top. I then asked him if they could fab a custom soft top then why can't they mass produce them and the answer I got was becuase the top would likely cost $2,000 to $3,000. This is way more than I am willing to pay. That being said, others might find it to be an option....

16. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Besttop has had tops for our Blazers for many years now. Mine is seven years old. They look good. Way less rake in the back than the old Kayline top you don't like. I don't have any pics posted but it looks similar to the Specialty top, only it rises up towards the back of the doors(the bows are taller than Specialties tops)
    I to have looked into a custom made top. I asked a local shop what it would cost to make a new top out of canvas, using my top as a general pattern. I wanted zip off sides and rear(similar to Specialties). He gave me a price of around $1500. And that was me using my own hardware. Rather expensive, but I still may do it if I can find the money /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I may sell my hard top to help pay for it. Since my vinyl top with roll up windows lasted seven years, I think a really well built canvas top, with zip out windows may last even longer. That's year 'round use by the way.

17. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pics guys. Does anyone have any close-up pics of the fast-track and/or snap STC top (hardware around the doors from inside, tailgate hardware, what it looks like with the top off)?

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have that same top still in the box waiting to get on my truck...looks very nice, I have a rear rool bar all the way in the back...do you think the rear bar will hit that last top bar?