Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you have to move your exhaust after a shackle flip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Aug 22, 2000.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Do you have to move your exhaust after a shackle flip?

I'm thinking about doing one. I currently have dual exhaust comming out behind each rear tire. Will I need to move it?

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
  3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Here's a pic of mine after the flip, but the truck's not running yet...Don't know if I'll have to move it or not, but I'm thinking no. See what you think.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. I want to do my flip, but the cost just keeps adding up. Front springs, new shocks, spring bushings, exhaust, flip kit. It looks like you guys both made your flips. How much did they cost you? I know a guy that makes them for all kinds of vehicles but he charges more than ORD so it isn't worth it.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well originally I just cut my hangers like coreys, but I didn't think it looked strong enough so I lopped off the bottom of the hangar and made a new side piece. It's made out of 3/8 steel, I work in a fab shop so we just sheared it, punched the bolt hole, then sheared those little angles in it and then bent it on the press brake. Really only took about 30 minutes, working off and on depending on the supervisor. haha. So I'd expect you could do something similar for about 20 bucks at a fab shop in your area. Then I just found old gussets for the sides and modified them with a torch to fit. I made a template out of cardboard to figure out how much to notch the upper piece to fit, then cut that with a torch too and ground a chamfer on it, took out the old stick and welded it all up. But like I said, I haven't run the truck yet so I can't comment on how it performs...maybe in a couple weeks!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

6. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status