Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you have to...........?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Uncle Fester, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    If you have followed my various posts, then you know I am now running 35" tires on 10bolt front/12 bolt rear axles. This has got me thinking about my next MAJOR upgrade, read next fall/winter, and I was wondering a few things about converting to 1 ton axles.
    First, I want to use a Dana-60 front, 14 bolt or Dana-70 rear axle, 4.10 gears, Disc front/drum rear brakes. What should I look for as a donnor truck? I plan to buy a used truck to salvage the parts off of....
    Next, I keep reading about changing to cross over steering, is that required on a swap like this?
    Plans for the truck include a 2" lift at most & 35" or 36" tires at most. It will be used as a daily driver, and weekend off roader...doing Ghost Town exploring, following the OUTLAW TRAIL and things like that.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you need a k30 to rob teh axles from.

3. Uncle Fester

A K-30? I thought I wanted to get the axles from a 3/4 ton so that I did not have to move the spring perches....am I wrong? What about cross over steering? is it required on this swap? Thanks again

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Well, You said 1 ton!:haha: I think your donor is over on Pirate.com classifieds IIRC for $800.:D You don't have to do crossover. A 4" lift will be much better for 35 or 36" tires.

5. Uncle Fester

Okay,
    Maybe I should have said "Full Floater" axles! lol, my bad there! I want full floater axles and 1/2 ton springs.
    As to the lift, I know that a 4" would be best, IF the sheet metal was stock, but mine is trimmed to the point I can now fit 38"s with out rubbing and I have NO LIFT right now! So in my case a 2" will be fine.
    Anyway, time to start cutting:hack: , welding:weld: , and grinding :grind: on my :burb: !

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your only going 35", why not just go 3/4?

anyway, a 60 will be in a K30.. the 14bff from a K30 will need to have the spring perches moved..

If you get a 14bff out of a 3/4 ton, it will bolt right up...

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are not going any bigger and not running anything crazy, just run the 10b's. A 60 and 14bff will cut your clearance, add weight, be expensive and are probably not necessary.

If you just want to strengthen up a little, get a 14bsf fom a 3/4 ton and call it good.

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

any differen

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well its not gonna matter what front axle you get cause all the fronts are full floaters. If your just running 35's and doing only light wheeling, there is really no need for a D60. A 10B should be fine. You can get a 14ff from a 1-ton gm truck, and even some 3/4 tons had them. If you get one from a 1-ton, the spring perches will have to be moved out 1" on each side....you will also have to re-locate the shock mounts. If you get it from a 3/4 ton truck, everything will be in the right place.

Oh, and 38's may not rub now on no lift, but 2" with 35's may rub if you flex it out real good offroad.
    -Harrison