Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do you like wheeling with the 6.2 does it have enough power?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dallassmith, Nov 8, 2004.

1. dallassmith

dallassmith 1/2 ton status

do you like your 6.2 for wheeling? weather for mud/rocks etc.

let me know your opinions

thanks

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It does fine except it runs out of RPM in deep mud and sand. It has plenty of low end, to the point where you really dont use the throttle much. Im sure if i had a SM465 or NV4500 i would love it even more. The fuel consumption, or lack there of, is wonderful though

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do you like your 6.2 for wheeling? weather for mud/rocks etc.

let me know your opinions

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Like joez said, you run out of RPM in mud, snow, sand sometimes. I even have a TD truck and still have the same problem since that one is a straight 6 and has a max RPM of 2800. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    But you can't beat the torque, and the fuel consumption. I run idle on all the obstacles, I have a manual and sometimes I have to have it in 2nd just to keep moving at idle.
    And you can't kill a diesel by being off camber, up a steep hill down a decent or even up side down. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In the rocks with a SM465 I love my 6.2. It surpassed my wildest expectations in Moab for outright control and crawlability. I haven't had it any mud to speak of...frankly I hate mud.

i'm fairly certain my clutch would smoke before the 6.2 would stall when in low range. I idled over most every obstacle and it just kept chugging away as long as the truck could keep traction.

If you're seriously into mud or sand I'd go with a gasser though. The 6.2 does spin to 3600 rpm so it's not all bad, but you'll never get the same wheelspeed out of it that you could with a gas engine.

Rene

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It would probably be hard to wheel a diesel in mud because of the lack of RPM's. I run soley mud with a little sand when I can and I run out of RPM's with my 406SBC. I guess a guy could gear a diesel rig to have the same wheel speed at 3,000RPM's as a gasser at 5,500 RPM's but it would have to have a lot of power but it still wouldn't be as good as having a full 700-5,500 RPM sweep with a V8 gas motor. I will start out at about 1,000 RPM's in 2nd gear in the beginning of a mud hole and exit in 3rd at 5,500. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That is the kind of RPM sweep you need in the mud.

For sand it could be very doable because instant hi RPM wheel speed isn't important or you will be buried. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I have buddies that race down in Pismo beach with their bombed cummins dodges and nobody can beat them up the biggest, baddest hill on the whole beach. It seems having power to keep momentum is more important than having instant hi RPM's on tap in sand vs. mud.

For rocks and pulling I would be all over a diesel. If I had a truck or buggy soley for rocks a 4BT would be the motor of my dreams. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty happy with my stock 6.2 for the Midwest/East Coast type of fourwheeling.....not much rock crawling but lot's of slippery hills, ruts, and mud covered rocks with the occasional mud hole (there's lot's of mud around but we typically stay away from the big holes).

As already mentioned, there are times when you just run out of top end when you need a lot of wheelspeed but 95% of the time it does fine.

7. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

Mine does great in the snow and mud in 1st and 2nd. It has a 700R$ so 1st and 2nd are low gears....3rd is a way differnt story. i tried taking it out on the sand and it does good out on like pussy lil hills, but if you wanna climb id suggest a gas engine for some RPMS. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif