Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do you need pneumatic tools for shackle flip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Apr 26, 2003.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

just an fmi (for my information) i'm thinkin of doing the job one of these days.

can you usually get the old shackle off and all the other stuff with just hand tools? anyone have any experience with this?

thanks,
    alex

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

A really big breaker bar and pipe. with a big hammer? lol. That always works.

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

Derek - i was just looking at your pics...your echobit shackle flip pretty much matched your 6" front lift?!

cuz i'm thinking of doing the same thing (got 6" springs in the front and 5.5" blocks in the back now)...is it really that simple?

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Is what really that simple?

I have the echobit flip in the back and a ORD 0 rate and my rear sits 1/2"to maybe 1" higher than the front. and the front is brand new 6" tuffcuntry springs. I had to get a new rear driveshaft (CV) and the front binds at some droop. So i think i got about 7" out of this combo.

I had a shop install my stuff because i have no where to do it. I have some tools, like electric impact and other stuff like that but my driveway is at a 45degree slant practically and the street is really narrow too if i did work on my truck on the street neighboors would run me over haha.

5. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

is it really that simple - was refferring to (can't you read my mind) the flip itself netting all the height you'll need to match the front springs. (don't know what 0 rates are)

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

ORD 0 rates are 1" blocks. But they aren't like blocks because they bolt to the leaf spring. And you can either move your axle forward or back or keep it normal.
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm
    I didnt have to use shims, maybe because of the CV but the flip kind of placed my axle in the right position... its hard to describe.

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

if you take off the 0 rates wont your back sit level with the front? or did you want it higher (basically, why use the 0 rates?)

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have the Echobit flip and it was done all in the garage w/ hand tools. No air...but get yourself a can of penetrating oil!

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cause it looks better to have the rear 1/2" or 1" taller than it does to have the rear 1/2" or 1" too short. In my opinion anyway. Thats the way my K5 sits and I think it looks MUCH better tahn guys with saggy rears. Also don't expect to just through on the flip and be set. Like he said he has a CV shaft and most shackle flips make the pinion angle perfect for a CV unit but not for the stock type shaft. For that you need to angle the pinion down with shims.

10. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

since i already have a lift installed, wont the angle be correct as is?

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Most any change you make to the geometry of the suspension will require checking your driveline angles. There is a chance that you could get lucky and be vibe free (rare circumstances which defy the basic rule) but I wouldn't count on it. Here is a tech article on driveline geometry ( http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/echobit/tipstrickstech-public.cgi?view=All )which can walk you through it assuming you have (or can get)the $2.00 angle finder. While you may do a flip and come up vibe free, that doesn't mean that your u-joints are not wearing faster than they would with correct geometry so its always a good idea to check it, especially on a short wheelbase 4x4 like the Blazers.

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I had a 5" block lift before I did the flip. And had the T-case dropped quite a bit. With the new suspension, that probably raised it a good 1-2inches, it would virbate pretty bad from 10-25mph and at any speed above 45mph if i let off the gas id get nasty grdining/vibes but with the cv installed i get nothing. Its great.

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

When I did the Echobit flip I had to use a cutting torch to get the shackles off because the bolts were rusted in SOOOO bad. It was not fun because the rubber bushings kept catching on fire right next to the gas tank so I had the garden hose in one hand and the torch in the other.

PS the echobit flip is great and I highly reccomend it.