Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you think JB weld will fix this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Sep 5, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I finally got up the gumption to work on this thing again. Do you tink there is any hope of fixing this with some JB weld? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

JB is overkill for a small crack like that. Try using duct tape, it's lighter and easier to use. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Nope. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nice oh yeah, jb fix that no prob. wate 5 min and drop it in. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    that a 350? got a two wheel one if ya w /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifant

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd try welding that up if I knew how.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    JB is overkill for a small crack like that. Try using duct tape, it's lighter and easier to use. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking more of the bubble gum route, cheaper ya know,
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif,
    but for real, no way would i use JB on that, mabye weld it but only if the guy really know his shi$ even than im not shure you can weld on cast alumiumn /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. BadDog

LOL, that was definitely a joke. JB or bubble gum, the result would be exactly the same. And it's beyond welding, there are some critical dimensions in there that the crack crosses. Repair cost with necessary equipment and final machine work would DEFINITELY exceed the value of a dozen of those cases.

It is (was) a th350 and I have another "well used" th350 K-case going in.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I had the tools I'd weld the piss out of that and try it anyway, you might be shocked.

9. BadDog

Look closer. That crack runs right through the governor bore which is a very critical fit. In fact, a case can be ruined simply by trash getting in there and causing it to wear a bit. IMO, there is no way to get that back together within the few thousandths tolerance required. The only way I can imagine is to weld it up solid and re-machine it. The rest might be manageable, but not that…

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I didn't realize that before, that's probably impossible to get right no matter how hard you try.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You don't need that govenor. Go with a manual valve body and TIG it back together.

Actually I agree that case is now trash. Cast aluminum is probably one of the harder types of welding that can be done (hardest being titanium) and that is a very stressed area the crack is in.

12. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

JB Weld can fix cylinder heads, why couldn't it fix a transmission? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes! thats carnage! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

14. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think the Hydramatic Division of GMC hates your family tree right about now. The wife's car is under warranty, so that all that is left is the Allison /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.
    You haven't broken that one yet, but I'd keep the boy away from it if I was you /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif.

I'm off tomorrow so let me know if you need an extra body.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't need that govenor. Go with a manual valve body and TIG it back together.

Actually I agree that case is now trash. Cast aluminum is probably one of the harder types of welding that can be done (hardest being titanium) and that is a very stressed area the crack is in.

[/ QUOTE ]

And cast aluminum saturated with ATF is gonna be absolute hell. Even if you could manage to get it welded the stress would likely crack it elsewhere. FWIW I have welded cast aluminum quite a few times and it's not easy or fun...

Rene

17. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

When you get that back together. I know of a place in Las Cruises, NM. To test the repair. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And cast aluminum saturated with ATF is gonna be absolute hell. Even if you could manage to get it welded the stress would likely crack it elsewhere. FWIW I have welded cast aluminum quite a few times and it's not easy or fun...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Is welding cast anything easy or fun?

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have 2 TH350 4x4 trannys out in the shed for parts(cases are fine,some other stuff missing)plus the one in my plow truck that recently lost reverse that is going to be parted out as soon as I finish swapping the 305 in my 79 C10.If I werent so far away you'd have plenty of spare trannys! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    Also have a short tail TH350 out of a 73 chevelle that wouldnt move in foreward gears--is it possible to use a car tranny in a 4x4 by swapping the rear output shaft?? or is the car case weaker than a 4x4 version?. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    And no,not even the almighty J-B Weld would fix that carnage--the only way to fix that tranny case would be to melt it down into a puddle and re-cast it! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cast iron is easier...but also unfun. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene