Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you truely "Tread Lightly" when you wheel?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sample, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Do you truely \"Tread Lightly\" when you wheel?

Seriously, do you clean all of the oil drips from the trail as you drive down? We all know that about 50% of the vehicles on this site leak oil. Most of the time from the rear main seal.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Do you truely \"Tread Lightly\" when you wheel?

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Now you are just trying to raise trouble to be an idiot. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd say that's a common theme on about 400 of his posts. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I always carry a 55 gallon drum of used motor oil out to the trail with me so I can dump it into a stream or something. If nothing else I pour it all over the trail and save a gallon to throw in the rangers face on the way out...

6. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

You will not see me judge you.

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Thats why I try to replace any leaky seals or gaskets as soon as possible, especially when I get ready to go on a rail run! My rig does not drip on the driveway at all!
    Bill

8. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats why I try to replace any leaky seals or gaskets as soon as possible, especially when I get ready to go on a rail run! My rig does not drip on the driveway at all!
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm like Landsmasher, I try to pollute often and in high volume.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Fixed engine leaks. Just started leaking from p/s gearbox, gonna put lucas in and see if it helps. I always pack in what I pack out. Garbage gets brought back to first store along the road an put in dumpster on way home. No one is EVER gonna blame me for helping close a trail. And I have a bad habit of smoking so I put my butts in a screw top soda bottle , not the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Seriously, do you clean all of the oil drips from the trail as you drive down? We all know that about 50% of the vehicles on this site leak oil. Most of the time from the rear main seal.

[/ QUOTE ]My rig doesn't leak as offen as I do. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]My rig doesn't leak as offen as I do. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We are talking about the rigs right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my 350 will let out a drop of oil on occassion... and no, I don't clean up every single one of them... not like I know the instant it is going to drip so I can stop and catch it.

btw, if any envirowacko wants to save the world of my heinous oil leakage, they can either a) come over and reseal my intake so my engine doesnt leak at all, or b) can pay me a whole bunch of $ so I can have a shop do it, or c) grab a spoon and eat the peanuts out of my crap. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

that is all.

j

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I was treading lightly long before it was trendy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Years ago, starting with Pickup, Van & 4WD magazine, then moving on to others over the years, I read many a story by Granvile King about the off-road adventures of he and his beloved Superdawg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif One thing that he often talked about was "elegant wheeling"; that is, to try to make it up and over obstacles without much, if any, fanfare. So I practiced and learned how to get through a lot of stuff without any wheelspin. Max traction is seldom found at full throttle. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I get a kick out of nearly idling over or through an obstacle that others are attacking with engines bouncing off the rev limiter and the rig bouncing around like a basketball. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I maintain my rig, so it doesnt leak. i have tops 1-2 drops under the truck since i have been driving it. The day after an oil change i will find a drop under it. Ive changed the oil twice, so thats 2 drops.

Besides, i drive a 6.2. It polutes more when i drive to work and school than landsmasher does dumping his 54 gallons of oil in the stream. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd say that's a common theme on about 400 of his posts. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Isn't that the truth! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Besides, i drive a 6.2. It polutes more when i drive to work and school than landsmasher does dumping his 54 gallons of oil in the stream. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true. Diesels are better for the environment than any gas engine with the exception to the emissions particulates, which you see in the air.

19. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true. Diesels are better for the environment than any gas engine with the exception to the emissions particulates, which you see in the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that, i clicked the wrong smiley. It was meant to come out as saracsim. I hate laptop finger pads. And not paying attention. O well.

20. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

my truck's newer, and it doesnt leak oil. its spewing a little PS fluid, but not nearly enough to sh!t a brick over (or even a small pebble).

as for driving style, yea, i usually tread lightly. last time i went trail-blazin, i got high centered on a huge log (that was the spotter's fault). so i learned the hard way to stick to the trails. on the trails, its balls-out, WOT. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif