Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you trust your temp gauge?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-383, Jul 24, 2006.

1. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

What does your stock gauge normally read and do you trust it? Mine got up to 210 indicated and I wasn't really liking it. I'm taking the electric off and going with a Flex or maybe a combo of both.

Kelvin

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine runs between 165 and 210 but normally hangs out around 185 not worried about it at all. When my water pump went out it got up to about 240:eek1: but it has tracked fine ever since.

Ira

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

You have to know that the temp its reading is from inside the head. Its a bit warm, but thats where most vehicles run, just make sure you have a good radiator cap.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I trust mine . I have replaced a sender or two , and used another resistor off a gauge from another cluster to keep my screen printing when my 83 gauge went bad . And I trust it .

A heavy duty clucth is your friend . 115 outside in AZ , with humidity , and I am idling in front of a friends house last week between the 210 and the mark before it with the a/c on :pimp:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Absolutely trust mine. Checked the ECM temp vs. gauge temp, always very close.

Even then, you are looking for a variance from the "normal" reading. If it says the engine runs at 220* normally, but actual temp is 195* (for instance) you still watch for climbing temps. If the guage reads something other than normal, you start investigating.