Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doctors Bill

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Confedneck, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so a few months ago i had to make a visit to the doctor for an ingrown toenail... gave my insurance card, paid my 30 bucks and they took care of me.. now i get a bill in the mail for 341$.. if they think ill pay that they're crazy, this was at least 4 or 5 months ago and they can go pound sand up their ass..

am i wrong for thinking this? i think ill give them a call tomorrow and find out wtf is going on with them..

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    so a few months ago i had to make a visit to the doctor for an ingrown toenail... gave my insurance card, paid my 30 bucks and they took care of me.. now i get a bill in the mail for 341$.. if they think ill pay that they're crazy, this was at least 4 or 5 months ago and they can go pound sand up their ass..

am i wrong for thinking this? i think ill give them a call tomorrow and find out wtf is going on with them..

[/ QUOTE ] Send it back with your insurance card info, and explain this has already been taken care of.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You went to a doctor for an ingrown toenail? You're a wus.............. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I only went once and that was because I was required to go because of good old Army rules and regulations.........

I'm here to tell ya something, I blew way more than $341 of the good old American taxpayer's money on that operation. It was my big toe and I took somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 injections of painkiller in that toe that day. Not too mention I was in there for about two hours.

4. Confedneck

yes bubba i went for that.. i hate doctors with a passion and think that some may be a little over glorified.. anyways, i was only there for maybe 1.5 hrs and they had to cut away part of my toe because it was infected.. and now that i think about it, this was at least 6-7 months ago..

i think ill call and give them my insurance info again and tell them to take it up with the insurance co.. im not paying a dime..

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If your doctor is contracted with your insurance plan, which appears to be the case as you paid a co-pay, then the doctor must receive any other payment due him from your insurance company. If your doctor was NOT contracted with your insurance carrier, then you would have had to have signed an agreement saying you were responsible for all medical bills. In that case, you generally would have been given an estimate for any procedure done beforehand (like the ingrown nail removal) to sign prior to the procedure.

Sounds to me like either they believe that the insurance payment will come directly to you (which sometimes happens) or they thought they were contracted with your plan but weren't, or they just made a mistake.

Don't get upset about it until you find out why they sent a bill. If you have insurance and they aren't on the plan, you can submit the bill for payment yourself. the doctor's office should courtesy bill it for you. If they can't, then call your carrier and find out what you have to do.

it would be very very rare that anyone's insurance plan did not cover ingrown nail procedures.

6. Confedneck

well the doctor and the nurse or secretary or whoever both told me my insurance would cover the procedure, i was never given an estimate nor did i sign anything, i guess ill just call and inquire..

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

hospitals are really a rip off in my opinion.....i went once cause i had bronchitus and it felt tough to breath...had ins,went to the er....was there for a while....4 hrs,and i got a bill in the mail for 3400.00 dollars /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifi said,no way i have ins already.....they kept sending bills....i diddnt pay.....the collection agenceis started calling....it wasnt long after that i realized they could take me to court and win,take my house,take all my stuff if i diddnt pay.....so we wrked out 184 a mo....make sure you got the RIGHT PLAN man,HMO is what you want...i had a PPO and they raked me through the coals....I diddnt know about med plans then,when i signed up, but i surte do now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifgood luck,Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had ingrown nails on both sides of both big toes, started about 4 years ago.

The left toe is completely healed as of 14 months ago.

The left side of the right toe had been good since 6 months ago, but is now relapsing, it grew close to the toe and actually caused a huge blister uner that side. I used the now infamous RJ v cut with a taper method to take the whole nail down as far as I could. Th blister is sliced away, the inectiong is swabbed out, and I hope it will heal up as it was.

Now the right side of the right toe is the troublemaker. 4 years and it's still a bastard. I once had it down to the root. It keeps growing back almost to normal, then it will skew off into the side of my toe where I can't get at it. The last time i thought I had it trimmed nice and stright, but I had actually cut a V notch and there was a spike of nail that grew into my toe VERY deep. I actually had a callaus on the side of the toe that when peeled off had a tiny hole under it where the nail was coming out. Squeezing the pus out was loads of fun, but it hurt a bit. So one day I shoved a tweezers in there, hammered it in bit actually, and ripped the damn thing off. If you haven't seen a nail that's been growing under skin for months, you should, it's awesome. And tasty..... Anyway, the skin on that side is growing all wierd and over the nail, so every once in a while I'll have to rip the scabby new growth off and alternately cut the skin open.

On top of all this there is the periodic draining of the toe.

Man I've always wanted to post about my toe! Ever since Jason stopped wasting his life talking to me all day and went to work, I've had no one to relate my toes to, except AJM who always scolded me.

Quick Tip - I recommend gettting the blades out of cheap disposable razors for self surgery, sharpest thing I can find, even moreso that surgical blades I can get from the hospital.

Anyway I'm, sure you were all enthralled

The moral is, take care of nasty toes

And the doctor DOES suck for anything that isn't plauge related or strictly internal. All the flesh wounds you should tough out.

9. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

What? No Pictures? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If they told you insurance will cover, then they either just made a clerical error or they aren't contracted with your carrier and need you to submit to the insurance for re-imbursement (which is unlikely). usually when they tell you insurance will cover they have already verified your benefits with your carrier and that they are also contracted with the carrier.

Sounds like a phone call should handle it.

Joe: I can't imagine why anyone would do self surgery on foot or toe when most plans have more than adequate coverage and messing your feet up with self surgery could leave you without their use. If the proper amount of Phenol is used far enough under the nail bed after an ingrown procedure, it shouldn't grow back. What you're doing is very risky.

11. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I had them just like yours. Both sides of both big toes and 3 more on other various toes. Had the nail poking through and pus and everything. I tried cutting them out myself with no success. I hate doctors and thought they would heal themselves. So I sucked it up and lived with the pain and bloody socks for 6 months. Then I went to MEPS and they told me I could go ahead and go to boot camp and let the government foot the bill,(no pun intended) and face being held back a week or so in boot camp, or get it taken care of on my own. I chose the latter, they ended up cutting small slivers of the nail off each side and scraping the root off of the bone so that portion of the nail will never grow back.

The procedure wasn't that bad except for the shots. The injected novacaine in between the toes. Good god man did that hurt!!! The needle going in was nothing compared to the pain of when he injected the juice. I could have sworn it blew out of the skin. Anyway after it was all said and done it was well worth the money I had to pay to get it taken care of. I was really stupid to live with it for as long as I did.

12. Resurrection_Joe

SC Jimmy
    [​IMG]

I wasn't gonna post that picture, but it's so goddamn horrendous I had to. It isn't really that bad at all.

Skigirl

If it had ever really hurt for more than a few days at a stretch, or if it got huge, or if my whole foot got red, I might agree, but it never really hurts anymore, and to tell you the truth, it's fun to mess with. It's never impared my walking, and I can only remeber it hurtiung once when I was trying to leave it alone. Thanks for the concern though.

Dirty Steve

I never had bloody socks. I know a kid who had his toe operated on, he had bloody socks for weeks. Not saying it's bad to have a doctor hack on it.

I agree about the needle, the piercing isn't bad, it's the horrendous pressure of the liquid in the flesh. Doctors and dentists always lie about pain too, what they say is going to hurt doesnt and hwne they say it's no big deal it's hellfire. Moreso the dentist on the true pain thing. That's whay I stopped going to the dentist. I had tears running down my face and he was just so damn condecending "It doesn't hurt......" Oh yeah? Well [darn] you captain hacktooth!

Anyway.... yeah.....

13. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Yuck!! That is exactly how mine looked. I was working at a Case IH dealership at the time. I was always climbing ladders in and out of cabs of the equipment. Every day I would bump my toe on something and have the tears come into my eyes it hurt so bad. Always had to be careful when pulling on my socks or sliding my feet into my pant legs. Man it was nice to be able to just pull on a sock or shove my feet through the pantlegs. You should really consider getting that fixed up right. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif Trust me you will be glad you did. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. Resurrection_Joe

I told you, I just fixed it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It hurts not at all, I can wonk it with my other foot and it only hurts as much as a normal toe

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Make sure it's a bill. Our doctors send us "bills" all the time, but with an actual zero balance because the ins covered it. I always get pissed, then my wife shows it to me... I think it's just to make sure you have a copy? I dunno, but make sure they're actually asking for money before you flip out...

16. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Both Nick and I got pretty sick here recently. We thought our insurance would cover it. Turns out...something happened in the company with the insurance and our deductible went from $250 to $750.
    They redid something and Nick had to resign up for it and I guess he did the default coverage so we're stuck with the bills and there ain't nothing we can do about it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

That's happening a lot. Insurance costs went up an average of 24% year before last, 25% last year and expected to be up 14% this year. Many companies can't afford it like they used to so some of the burden is being transferred to employees. As a note, it's not the doctors getting rich off this. Insurance companies are, and are trying to stay that way by offsetting losses in other areas.

18. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I'm a vet.... My heart attack involved 5 days in 3 different hospitals and 2 ambulance rides. It also included an angiogram and the placement of a stent in my left coronary artery. Then when I was released, the cardiologist sent me to the VA pharmysist to pick up 4 perscriptions which are good for 90 days each. All of this cost me only $84 and that was the co-pay for the meds. I'm glad I did my time in the military... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif