Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge 205 for a doubler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Dec 1, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

From what I can gather, 29, 31, and 32 are the big input bearing cases, and are hard to find. 10, 23, and 27 spline cases are small bearing, and have to be machined and have the input swapped out if you want a 31 or 32 spline doubler. Well apparently WMS makes a 23 spline doubler in addition to the 31 and 32 spline ones...

So am I correct in assuming that all the small bearing cases share the same bearing and the shafts are swapable? That seems to be what I'm coming up with in my searches. Anyway, it looks like it would be a lot cheaper if I could buy a 23 spline dodge case, or perhaps just the input. If I get the whole case, I can sell my 10 spline case (dodge had passenger drop 205's right?). If I just get an input, I can swap it in to my existing case with the existing bearing with no machining.

So how hard is it to find these dodge pass-drop 23-spline 205's? I think they were supposed to be behind the automatics, but I don't know what years. Anyone have any sources for one? I don't exactly have any contacts in the dodge world. Just wondering how common they might be and how much $$ I might be able to pick one up for.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

call WMS and discuss it. Casey probably has an answer for you. Put my Chevy 203, Ford 205 doubler together yesterday, very happy with the results.... well haven't used it yet so I'm sure I will only get happier :D

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So are you using a ford front end then? I'd feel like a traitor using a Dodge case, but a case AND an axle might be too much... :ignore:

I'd like to give them a call, but not easy with my graveshift schedule. Guess I'll try to drag my butt out of bed during central business hours.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The Dodge and GM cases are virtually identical, honestly, if you had a Dodge case in your pickup, knowone would know unless you told them ;)

What 203 are you planning to use?

KP

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ah, nice to have the man himself looking. :D

I've got an old 10 spline 465/203 that I'm starting with. I've got a couple of 10-spline 205's as well, so I was thinking if I could get the 23 spline input or the whole case, then I'd be set. True?

Oh, and BTW, is there any chance of you guys having another sale like your october one? I completely missed out on that one. :doah: :(

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, just had a thought...

Maybe one of those shops that DOESN'T offer a 23 spline doubler has a used 23 spline shaft leftover from converting old cases to 32 spline. Worth a shot?

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

First thing, we REALLY don't like to do the 10 spline 203's ;) We might want to talk about upgradeing that while we're tearing stuff apart.

You SHOULD be good to go, but if it were me, I'd hunt the entire case, it would just make life easier.

Chances on another $500 Deuce sale are slim :( sorry. That was kind of a once in a lifetime deal. I'm not saying that it won't EVER happen again, but I wouldn't sit around the house waiting LOL

Let me check and see, we MIGHT have what you need around OUR shop :)

KP

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

By not liking 10-splines, do you mean a case that still has the 10-spline shaft, or a case that started out as a 10 spline case? I didn't know there was a way to use a 10 spline case. :confused: I wouldn't want to use one anyway. I don't mind having 10 spline at the back of my tranny, cause those are a dime a dozen if it goes bad. I'd rather have the 23 at the doubler.

I figure I'd look locally for a whole case, and search for the shaft out of state. I'd hate to pay shipping on a case. :eek1:

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

We generally, as a rule, won't do a 10 spline Deuce in the 203. We don't make new shafts for the 10 spline, instead we reuse your old shaft, which add's to the turnaround time, and PITA factor ;)

The 23 spline refer's to the shaft coming out of the 203 into the 205 in this case. The 10 spline at the back of the tranny is the PITA on our end...

KP

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure I follow. Don't know why the splines at my tranny matter. As long as I have a 203 that bolts up to it then it's good to go right? I thought you guys just supplied the output for the 203 to the 205, and the adapter to mate them. There's no way I'll be able to track down and afford a 32-spline 465/203, so 10-spline is the way it's gonna have to be.

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The Dual Case Adapters replace the entire shaft in the 203 range box. That's were the rub come's into play. You split the 203 in half, replace the shaft with the one in our kit, then bolt on the adapter to just the range box, and bolt to 205 to that.